Aoudad Caliber Recommendations

It is all about shot placement with Aoudads. And the fact that the kill zone is no where near where most hunters are used to with deer, elk and pronghorns. The Aoudad kill zone is much lower and further forward. Do your research, but you don't need a cannon to kill them at distance.

Lots of good council here. 15-20 yrs ago, I shot two near Llano, TX with 30-06 x 180 gr. They were both within 150 yds. Unfortunately one of them fell down a 70 foot granite crevasse and was unretrievable. Either rifle you have will do the trick with effective shot placement. If I were you, I'd probably be practicing with the 300 WM x 165 to 180 gr boolits. I'm sure some longish shots can present in NM.

For the first time I was lucky to draw a NM Audad (Barbary) tag for 2025. I'm asking you experienced sheep hunters which caliber would be your choice. I have a 7mm-08 that shoots a 1/2 MOA with 140gr Nosler bullets. I also have a 300 WM that shoots pretty good with factory Noslers, but I will be working up a load for that gun. I have harvested several animals with both guns, but have never hunted sheep.

What is your perspective is the 7mm-08 enough gun for those longer range shots?

Thanks for all of your suggestions!

If both guns are of similar weight, and you shoot both guns equally well…..I'll "ALWAYS" go with the larger cartridge/caliber! memtb

We have shot a lot from ewes, to big rams...shoot further forward with an adequate caliber. We have have 2 rifles for guys here to shoot one is a 6.5 creedmoor and the other is a 270 win. I have shot them with 22 creedmoor, 22-250, 243, 6 ARC, 6 creed, 25-06, 257 wby (a lot), 6.5 creed, 6.5 grendel, 270, various 30s, and 338s.

I'd say anything with 120 grain bullet going 2700 fps will do. Any of the new stuff with a fast moving heavy "big" BC bullet will hammer them and buck the wind. If I go out to really kill the biggest ram I can... I like 338 Norma or my light 338 RCM--bucks the wind well hits great with plenty of speed. Plus my gun is set up to peg anything inside 800...where I'm at--wind is always an issue.

Last edited: