Which bullets?

Seems like you got bugged by blowing up some meat with those GameKings. That is not the first time it happened nor will it be the last. As for your questions, first, at magnum velocities and close range you are likely to waste meat with the HPBT, but they will not detonate like a varmint bullet, at least that is my experience. The critter will be dead and the bullet or fragments of it will penetrate deeply. Shots inside 100 yards are going to have a certain degree of unpredictability, with any bullet.

Secondly, we have shot the 165 Interbonds at .300 mag. velocities at 100 yards and they work great, they are going to open quickly and will retain over 70%, probably closer to 80%. In my tests they retained more weight by % than did the Accubonds under similar impact velocities - but the Accubonds are heavier to start out with and they are very good on game.

If I had to make the choice I would load Interbonds. I would also take Matchkings over Game Kings any day for deer sized critters, regardless of distance. For bigger animals you cannot beat a bonded bullet. 70-85% retained weight for penetration is worth having.

The fact that the Game Kings blew up some meat is not unusual in my experience - they grind hamburget about like Ballistic Tips will at close range or high impact velocites.

For deer sized game you probably could not beat the good old Hornady standard bullet Interlocks either, they aren't sexy but they will sure kill deer. I would say the same about Speer Hotcores, and some of the guncompany bullets like the Corelocks and Power Points.

I believe that any bullet can do wasteful things to a critter if the shot is close and stuff like bone chunks start flying. I saw a Scirocco fired from my son's .300 Weatherby cause a long rip along the top of the ribs of a buck, intestines came right up out hole - this was several inches directly above the impact location. Turned out that the entire bullet was recovered in the opposite ham, hydraulic shock or whatever blew that rip in the upper chest - really weird thing was that the paunch and intestines were not even punctured. How in hell that bullet got where we found it is anyone's guess.

If explosive bullet damage is what you want to stay away from than use a bonded bullet, Barnes TSX, Failsafe, or Groove bullet. What are your choices were you are? That will help with some of our suggestions.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.