Which bullets

I don't want any flames from this. I am going to relate my and my hunting buddies extensive experience with shooting the 7mm Rem Mag on white tail deer. Our experience with killing deer is extensive. We have over 20 years of being control hunters on a big farm in NC were we took 100 deer each year for crop damage control purposes. This is just to let you know we learned a few things along the way.

We have killed deer with about everything from a 22lr through a 45-70.
We both tried the 7mm Rem Mag off and on for a few years. We both experienced the same results that lhtaxidermy and his father experienced with the 7mm Rem Mag on average of 60% of the time no matter what bullet was used. The typical reaction of a deer that was shot perfectly through both shoulders would be for it to jump straight up in the air and kick it's back legs out and come down and take off. They would run 100 to 200 yards before they would drop. It is completely un-explainable why this happens. The deer would have jelly for vitals. I personally used the 139 SP Hornady, 145 Speer GS, 150 Sierra, 160 Sierra, 140 Ballistic tip, 154 Hornady SP. My buddy used many other different bullets also. I and my buddy found the 154 Hornady did the best on putting them down. We both got so tired of having to trail deer into the thick jungle around the fields we hunted we gave up on the 7mm Rem Mag. The best drop them in their tracks caliber we have ever found is the 25-06, mainly shooting the 117 Sierra, and for even longer range the 264 Win Mag. I really like the 130 Accubond in my 264 Mag.

168gr Berger hunting VLDs.

Ed
This is what I was wanting to which to, but just couldn't get the groups that I wanted out of them. Dad's ruger on the other hand loves them though. This is why I was looking for more input. I have some 150 gr Sciroccos and though about the 160 accubonds, but after last year I was just a little leary.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.