Which bullets?

Make me the third to cast a vote for the Accubond.
smile.gif

VH

In Europe, availability becomes a problem for some of the stuff we have in NA.

If availability is good then:
Hornady SST, Accubond, then Amax
Sierra: matchking
Nosler: Ballistic tip, Accubond
Lapua: Scenar should work well too at LR

I guess you need to determine what LR means to you, the impact vel, the size of the game, and the parameters of your rifle. The question was pretty vague but you still have lots of good choices in this post.

Just try and keep impact vel in the 1500fps or higher, then any of these bullets will work just fine. If impact vel will be lower, then go for the AMax or other thinly constructed match bullet.

Jerry

Brown Dog
One of the deer I shot this year was at 42 yds. She was quartering slightly towards me, I hit her just behind the front shoulder and exited near the back of the rib cage. Normal sized entrance wound, and the exit wound was about the size of a golf ball give or take a 1/2 inch. Bullet was a 200 gr. Accubond, Rifle a 300 win mag., and velocity around 2850. They work just fine unless you shoot through both shoulders (tried that too)then things get a little messy, but still not ghastly.
Chris

I'm getting like a stuck record asking these questions regarding the 'target' bullets; but what are you all doing with these rounds when a deer pops up at less than 200m? turning down the shot? or are they non 'explosive' at short range 300WM velocities?

On a <200m shot, broadside through the ribs and top of the heart, what kind of exit wound size would be typical ?

About a week ago I posted that I had 2 x deer with hand span size exit wounds at 150 and 160m with quartering behind the shoulder chest shots -with 180gr Sierra prohunter bullets. This was disappointingly explosive and a lot of meat was spoilt. What would a target bullet have done? Made a through-and through-pencil hole or 'detonated'?

I want to be convinced, but I'm having trouble making the 'leap of faith' to give them a go! Do these target bullets have a 'minimum effective range'?

WinMagMan,

Thanks, but I'm keen to know what sort of damage is generated by the much-vaunted HPBTs at short range. I'm keen to try them but wary of the fact that the promoters of HPBTs for hunting seem to regard them as a solution to all situations; whereas, rightly or wrongly, my logic tells me that if they're expanding well at long range they must surely 'detonate' at shorter (<200m) range.

I'd love to use Accubonds, but they're going to run at around $70 for 50 when they eventually arrive in my part of the world (which they haven't yet). I'm sure you'd agree that that'd be fine if I was trophy shooting on a paid hunt, but the vast majority of my shooting is cull/meat hunting.

I'm still surprised by the damage a conventional 180gr SP did at 150m (the 300WM is a new caliber to me, only used my 308 before). I was going to reload it with 180BTs, but if conventional SPs are explosive on a broadside rib-heart-rib shot I think that that may not be a clever next step!

Right now I'm stuck. Interbonds are available here, but only to 165gr in 308 - I think that's too light for a 300. Swift Sciroccos are available (around$80!); I tried those in my 308 a couple of years back but they were wildly inaccurate (dimensions and weight varied greatly too) I've never decided whether I simply had a bad batch -but they're too expensive to give them a second chance.

Practically, therefore, my choices narrow to:

180gr conventional SPs -and limiting myself to neck shots under 200m -which means I'd often have to turn down shots that weren't 'just right'.

or trying a HPBT such as SMK

(I have 80rds of Fed Prem Safari 200 Trophy Bonded Bear Claw in the cupboard -but reckon they'll be a little too much for deer!)

But I still don't understand whether the HPBT will be more or less explosive than a conventional SP!?

[ 01-24-2004: Message edited by: Brown Dog ]

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.