Which brass works for you?

AtownBcat

Hey guys..i've got a 300WM and im looking into buying the stuff to start hand loading. I have access to several types of brass but would like to use one of the more cost effective..remington,wenchester, hornady, federal...you get the point...what would be a good starting point as far as the brass goes?

Ryan

Lapua stopped making 300 WM brass about 12 months ago, to the best of my knowledge and belief. There still may be some on the shelves somewhere though. I believe RWS still makes 300 Win Mag brass, and that's as good as Lapua, but you probably won't find it locally. You'll probably have to search the web and order some that way. Lapua or RWS brass will cost ~ twice as much Winchester or Remington.

If you're looking for the lowest cost brass, just go ahead and buy some Winchester brass. Not as tough, or dimensionally consistent, as Lapua/RWS, but it'll get the job done.

I went and got a Nosler reloading manual today...When they make a load it doesn't say what the brass was. Is there nosler brass and do they actually make it? Also who makes R22 powder? And i'm not set on Nosler anything but is was what the local gun range had on hand. I have heard that the accubond works well in the feild and on the bench...any thoughts?

AtownBcat,
Accubond would be a great choice for your 300WM. As far as brass, just go with the Winchester, it will work fine. I would look at the Hodgdon line of extreme powders, and I hope you are going to be able to find primers to reload with. They are getting hard to come by.

Yes, you can buy Nosler Brass for the 300 WM. I haven't tried it myself, I have heard a lot of negative feedback on it in this caliber so I stayed clear. I believe it had something to do with loose primer pockets after minimal firings. Other Cals may be O.K. with that brand. R-22 powder is made by Alliant and many people have had great results in this caliber, especially with the 180 and up grain bullets. I have used it quite a bit but like the Hogdon powders better. In the 300 WM, I am currently using H-4831 SC with the 180 Accubond and am having real good results shooting .4's . Another would be H-1000 and see what you like best. The Lapua brass is top notch but no longer made. I personnally haven't tried RWS but it gets a lot of positive feedback. I use Norma in this cal and have had good luck with it and will continue using it, it has been very consistent. I don't think you can go wrong with the Accubond. Try the 180 in this cal. Good luck.

it sounds like you're fairly inexperienced with reloading, just get Winchester brass, 180 Accubonds, and 4831 powder. proven performers in the 300 Win Mag.

I have used both Lapua and Winchester out of my 300WM,and I did not see any difference in accuracy with the Lapua's.I will say the Lapua's are a higher quality brass,and require less prep work than the Winchesters.I also noticed the Lapua necks are straighter and seem to give a little better runout,but never seemed to show improvement on paper.If I was to do it over again,I would probably just stick with the Winchester's.

I've had 2 different 300WMs that I couldn't get accubonds to shot less than 1.5" groups (& was was accurised too). Went back to NBTs, rying work up a load for 180 Gr Barnes tipped or regular TSXs too, but having a little trouble do to having a magazine. I hate magazines in riflesgun)

I have used the following load in a 300WM with great success:

Brass: Winchester
Powder: Alliant RL-22
Bullet: Nosler 180 B-Tip
Primer: Fed Gold 215 Match

.025 off the lands at 3200fps gives < 0.5 MOA.

I agree that the Winchester brass does a good job for this caliber with the above load.

I have ordered some Norma brass for this load to see if there is any benefit to the more expensive brass for this rifle and load.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.