Which brass for 6mm Creedmoor

rharfo

Got a deal on a 6mm Creedmoor target gun. Do I go with small rifle primer brass or large? I have never used small, what's the advantage. I do have more small rifle federal match than large on hand right now..... The barrel has 600 rounds on it, I really wanted another caliber so its gonna get re-barrled before too long.
Thoughts?
Thanks.

I like large rifle brass. Less chance of cratering and/or piercing primers and large rifle primers are generally easier to find. There really hasn't been any data to prove small rifle brass is anymore consistent than large rifle primer brass. However, large rifle primers are better at igniting powder at colder temperatures. For most applications you can flip a coin and never have a problem with either one. I would honestly pick whatever brass you have the most primers for.

I broke in my Ruger precision using Hornady match ammo and it shot great so I bought some Hornady brass to duplicate those match loads and was not impressed....after sorting I had lots of rejects. So I bought the Lapua, a whole lot better brass. It is small primer though. Their 6.5cm now comes in either LG or Sm. If you want LG primer I'd get the Peterson, I see it's available to buy online. Pricy but well worth it in the long run.

Thanks guys, I have a ton of 260 rem components so it's gonna get re-barreled at some point. I wanna shoot a match with it in June so the rebarrel might have to wait.

My experience is that Hornady brass is poor at best. ADG brass on the other hand is at least as good as Lapua. There is no accuracy advantage to a small primer. The only advantage is if you are running your load too hard they will take over pressure better. Stay within pressure specs and you will have no problems with large primer pockets. I have ADG which has been loaded 10 times in my 6 mm creeds and they are still tight running at max but not over pressure.

Thanks guys, I have a ton of 260 rem components so it's gonna get re-barreled at some point. I wanna shoot a match with it in June so the rebarrel might have to wait.
Good choice with the .260. I have thre of them with new Cooper Model 22 that shot in the same hole from Cooper. That one has been sitting in my safe for years. Building a 6.5x284 now, has a little more range that the 260. Are you going to shoot PRS, BR or "F" class?

This gun is a HS Precision HTR in 6 creed with a reported 600 rounds. Shooting a long range fun match at Peacemaker in WV.
this will probably lead to local PRS.

Peterson and Starline SRP is available, if you have the primers I would go for one of these. I've got some LRP Starline brass in 6 cm for a build and it is very consistent. All my SRP's are slated for 223 or I would give 6 cm brass a try.

Got a deal on a 6mm Creedmoor target gun. Do I go with small rifle primer brass or large? I have never used small, what's the advantage. I do have more small rifle federal match than large on hand right now..... The barrel has 600 rounds on it, I really wanted another caliber so its gonna get re-barrled before too long.
Thoughts?
Thanks.
I'm using Lapua small primer brass but be careful with it mine has the .060 flash hole so it's smaller than normal flash holes by.020

I have better luck with Peterson brass then lapua. I get 20-30 reloadings on Peterson vs 15-20 on lapua.
I run 105-115 in the 2900-3050 fps range.
I used to switch from large primer to small primer every other barrel or year to keep my match brass organized.
Large primer 6creed brass has been a bugger to find the last 2 years.

I really dig my Peterson brass. I've used Lapua every chance I get but tried the Peterson for my 6Creed and glad I did. I am running large rifle primers and very accurate. I did buy some Peterson small rifle because it was available last year and due to the hype about being more consistent that I was reading last year. I may just stick with the large primers so I don't have to rework load.

May not be a big deal for some but the Peterson comes in reusable reloading boxes that are super convenient and fit the cases perfect. Since they are vertical the necks don't get bent and dinged like they due for the Lapua brass all jammed in there. I've gotten to the point where I just grab the Peterson virgin brass and load, I don't even mess with brass prep as they come virtually perfect. Saves me time. Great brass!

As mentioned the small primers have different flash holes sizes and you'll have to buy a different flash holes uniforming tool. Also the bolt face will need to be bushed to help prevent primer cratering on the small primers.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.