Which aftermarket trigger

I had heard a lot of good things about the accu trigger, so when my rifle was completed, I left it on, figured it would be ok. Right off, I hated it. Way to stiff for my taste. For some reason Savage refused to sell me any lighter springs, which got me to reading on line about this. Made my own spring. Nice and light, but next, I had a hang fire every third shot. Looked it over and discovered that my trigger technique (apparently I put side pressure on the trigger) caused the accu trigger blade to bind. So I gutted it. This seemed to work better, eliminating the delayed tripping I had been dealing with. Lately, although it's really a light trigger, I have been running out of breath before the break, and have to pull off and restart . Thought it might be too light. In fact, I am CERTAIN it is too light, since it will slam fire if I ain't gentle closing the bolt. Decided to he'll with it, what's available? Rifle Basix, and Timmney, in stock. Looked at Sharp Shooters, no online ordering, looked at the Jard, as well, but in the end, In 10min after posting this thread, I had four people chime in for a Timney. Also, it looks easier to install, and it is about $50 less. That would not have mattered, had Folks clamored for a Rifle Basix, instead. And as was stated earlier, they are both good, I m sure I will be happy. Thank you , everyone, for the input.
Gregg

I just installed the Timney trigger replacement trigger/bar for the AccuTrigger. Takes less then ten minutes to install following the very simple instructions. I'm very satisfied with its performancee. I have it set at a vey reproducible 1.75#.

Last edited:
The sharpshooter supply trigger is the best one available for the savage. They are a PITA to deal with though, they don't answer phone calls and to order you have to print off a form and send it in with the money then wait. The owner's wife will usually answer e-mails fairly promptly though.

The sharpshooter supply trigger is the best one available for the savage. They are a PITA to deal with though, they don't answer phone calls and to order you have to print off a form and send it in with the money then wait. The owner's wife will usually answer e-mails fairly promptly though.
Wow, if they are that much of a PITA just ordering one, I couldn't imagine how great they would be if you have problems. The only trigger I have that is not a factory, is a Jewel in my custom rifle. I have a Ruger M77 MkII that I will be changing out this year, the only trigger I have seen I can use is a Timmeny, I plan to order one soon.

I have 5 Jewel triggers on comp rifles, and they are great.
Also have on hunting rifles: SSS, Rife Basix and Timney.
Timney beat em all.

I was reading up on the newest biz and Andy triggers last night and I really like the design I don't think they have a savage offering yet

Thanks

Buck

I got a SSS trigger and finally got it all adjusted last night. It feels very nice. For $120 it's a real nice savage trigger. I might buy a second.

I had heard a lot of good things about the accu trigger, so when my rifle was completed, I left it on, figured it would be ok. Right off, I hated it. Way to stiff for my taste. For some reason Savage refused to sell me any lighter springs, which got me to reading on line about this. Made my own spring. Nice and light, but next, I had a hang fire every third shot. Looked it over and discovered that my trigger technique (apparently I put side pressure on the trigger) caused the accu trigger blade to bind. So I gutted it. This seemed to work better, eliminating the delayed tripping I had been dealing with. Lately, although it's really a light trigger, I have been running out of breath before the break, and have to pull off and restart . Thought it might be too light. In fact, I am CERTAIN it is too light, since it will slam fire if I ain't gentle closing the bolt. Decided to he'll with it, what's available? Rifle Basix, and Timmney, in stock. Looked at Sharp Shooters, no online ordering, looked at the Jard, as well, but in the end, In 10min after posting this thread, I had four people chime in for a Timney. Also, it looks easier to install, and it is about $50 less. That would not have mattered, had Folks clamored for a Rifle Basix, instead. And as was stated earlier, they are both good, I m sure I will be happy. Thank you , everyone, for the input.
Gregg

I have a factory trigger on my .270 AI Savage 110 LA that I somehow managed to adjust it down to 2 LBS without any mod and a .300 WM Savage 111F LA with RB set at 1.5 LBS. I have Savage 11 in .300 WSM with accutrigger but left it as-is off the factory setting without any problem.

A DIY for what it is worth ...

One of the watch-outs when working with either the factory Accu-Trigger or replacement trigger bars like the Timney, is to keep an eye out for contact of the trigger assembly with the stock. Since the Accu-stock design allows the action to wedge into the chassis, the degree of torque placed on the action screws can cause the trigger assembly to make contact with the stock. When this happens to the extreme it will be readily noticable by an inoperable trigger. At the other extreme of very mild contact, it will go un-noticed, or, you can see few ounce change in trigger weight when the trigger the action is assembled into the stock. IMO. This could be the reason for some shooters finding the Accustock sensitive to the torque of the Action screws. Lipstick and a file or Dremel can get the clearance issue fixed. I noticed this on my very consistent <.25MOA Savage LRH when it developed horizontal stringing to .75MOA after I installed my Timney. Everything seemed to function well but my set pull weight dropped from 24OZ to 20OZ when the action was installed in the stock. My accuracy and 24OZ trigger was restored after I fixed the clearance. If you experience accuracy issues with your Savage, check this out, even with the factory AccuTrigger.

One of the watch-outs when working with either the factory Accu-Trigger or replacement trigger bars like the Timney, is to keep an eye out for contact of the trigger assembly with the stock. Since the Accu-stock design allows the action to wedge into the chassis, the degree of torque placed on the action screws can cause the trigger assembly to make contact with the stock. When this happens to the extreme it will be readily noticable by an inoperable trigger. At the other extreme of very mild contact, it will go un-noticed, or, you can see few ounce change in trigger weight when the trigger the action is assembled into the stock. IMO. This could be the reason for some shooters finding the Accustock sensitive to the torque of the Action screws. Lipstick and a file or Dremel can get the clearance issue fixed. I noticed this on my very consistent <.25MOA Savage LRH when it developed horizontal stringing to .75MOA after I installed my Timney. Everything seemed to function well but my set pull weight dropped from 24OZ to 20OZ when the action was installed in the stock. My accuracy and 24OZ trigger was restored after I fixed the clearance. If you experience accuracy issues with your Savage, check this out, even with the factory AccuTrigger.
Had the same thing happen to my rifle. Got the trigger I stalled, worked good , felt good, smelled good, life is golden again....And then I put it back in the stock. Inconsistent pull, sear trip felt different, it even sounded different. Take it out again, returned to good. Did this a couple times till I figured it out. Then I looked at the factory trigger and saw a shiny spot in the same place that the Timney wss hitting. Guess I been having this problem for awhile. Hopefully its good now. And with all that in and out of the stock , I got a good look at my bedding job that I did. Now I am re-bedding with pillars. It's always something-thats why I named it my 338 Tinkeree!

Had the same thing happen to my rifle. Got the trigger I stalled, worked good , felt good, smelled good, life is golden again....And then I put it back in the stock. Inconsistent pull, sear trip felt different, it even sounded different. Take it out again, returned to good. Did this a couple times till I figured it out. Then I looked at the factory trigger and saw a shiny spot in the same place that the Timney wss hitting. Guess I been having this problem for awhile. Hopefully its good now. And with all that in and out of the stock , I got a good look at my bedding job that I did. Now I am re-bedding with pillars. It's always something-thats why I named it my 338 Tinkeree!

My LRH in 6.5x284 has proven to be exceptionally accurate over the seven years(+500rounds) I have owned the rifle. Now with the Timney, which truly improves the performance of the trigger, I decided to add an MPA Lite Chassis. While the fit and weight is good, I have never been happy with the cheap plastic stock on this rifle. While costly and usually reserved for my custom actioned PRS rifles, I'm anxious to give the chassis a try for LRH hunting. Since taking up PRS competition, the variety of shooting positions and scenarios has influenced my view of potential of the chassis for the varied conditions experienced when hunting. The MPA Lite Chassis weighs in the same as the factory stock currently on the LRH(3#) which will give me a 10.5# weight. The Savage action, IMO is actually quite good when mated with the Timney. My particular sample is true, and the smoothness/lock time of the firing assembly, quite close to my custom actions. Whenever I eventually cook the barrel, I'll get a Criterion March drop-in which is available in light Varmint, identical weight and dimensions as my current barrel that I can easily self install.

My LRH in 6.5x284 has proven to be exceptionally accurate over the seven years(+500rounds) I have owned the rifle. Now with the Timney, which truly improves the performance of the trigger, I decided to add an MPA Lite Chassis. While the fit and weight is good, I have never been happy with the cheap plastic stock on this rifle. While costly and usually reserved for my custom actioned PRS rifles, I'm anxious to give the chassis a try for LRH hunting. Since taking up PRS competition, the variety of shooting positions and scenarios has influenced my view of potential of the chassis for the varied conditions experienced when hunting. The MPA Lite Chassis weighs in the same as the factory stock currently on the LRH(3#) which will give me a 10.5# weight. The Savage action, IMO is actually quite good when mated with the Timney. My particular sample is true, and the smoothness/lock time of the firing assembly, quite close to my custom actions. Whenever I eventually cook the barrel, I'll get a Criterion March drop-in which is available in light Varmint, identical weight and dimensions as my current barrel that I can easily self install.
I really like my Savage, too. It's my first Savage (And only, currently), and my first semi custom. It has been a really good teacher. I've got close too 1000 rds thru it, and I still have not got that "pet load " that everyone talks about. Seems like the rifle WANTS to shoot, but its almost as if its telling me " Ahhh , grasshopper, you are not ready yet. First you must learn to use the Force to snatch this pebble from my hand, before you can hit steel target at 1mile. " I know that sounds goofy, it is only steel and wood, yet every time I think I'm getting close, the accuracy goes to crap, and I must climb the mountain, and consult the Oracle, to find its new malady. I hope it doesn't sound as though I am complaining, I have had a LOT of fun, figuring out all these little head scratchers, and I have gotten some really excellent information on this site. Thanks for replying.

I have a factory trigger on my .270 AI Savage 110 LA that I somehow managed to adjust it down to 2 LBS without any mod and a .300 WM Savage 111F LA with RB set at 1.5 LBS. I have Savage 11 in .300 WSM with accutrigger but left it as-is off the factory setting without any problem.

A DIY for what it is worth ...

Helacious good idea ! Maybe on my next one, I can give that a whirl. Seems as tho most if not all of the trigger woes I have experienced except for the original 10lb pull might be attributed to stock clearance issues.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.