Which 300?

Wow! What a bunch of information. Gentlemen, 50 years ago most of the cartridges mentioned didn't even exist and yet, somehow, and with not too much trouble, people killed elk, deer, bear, moose, and were happy. Most shots were under 200 yards...as I suspect they still are. The caliber and rifle build are personal choices. If you are on this site you probably reload and can tailor a load to suit both rifle and shooter...and, if you do your job, safely and efficiently harvest any game you seek.

3 things jumped out at me from your build criteria. First, the shorter barrel may be better served by a 300wsm. Second, the Sendero lite may not be the best choice for the 300 magnums your're considering. Alamo Precision in Texas hesitates and steers their customers away from the lite when building larger magnums. That contour has proven to be more finicky than the regular full Sendero Contour with the larger cartridges. Third, take a look at the brass manufacturers for each cartridge. Availability and price may eliminate or steer your decision. All three of your choices are very similar and you probably can't go wrong.
Absolutely right, for hunting the critters will never know the difference

WM is right..... WEATHERBY MAGNUM!!!!!! ( LOL) My choice for what it's worth!
My LR rifle is a long-action Remington rechambered to 300 Weatherby. I've never fired the thing. The gun I prefer is a Husky/J.C. Higgins lightweight '06 (S.R.Mauser) with a birch stock, pencil barrel, big sissy-pad, and a big hunk of Leupold's finest screwed to the top. It does everything I've ever asked of it and doesn't weigh much on the track.

I'm biased, but given some of the constraints in the first post I think my suggestion has merit. .308 Norma Mag. Give it a real world comparison with the .300 WM and I think it's the better chamber. I wouldn't mind if it had a steeper shoulder, but for your use I'd leave it alone.

my vote is 300 PRC. it make sense and is not a giaganious powder burner and recoil hammer. It will not out shoot the 300 win mag but twist rate and chamber and magazine is better suited for the heavy high bc bullets. Draw back is if not reloading then mot much choice in factory ammo.

My LR rifle is a long-action Remington rechambered to 300 Weatherby. I've never fired the thing. The gun I prefer is a Husky/J.C. Higgins lightweight '06 (S.R.Mauser) with a birch stock, pencil barrel, big sissy-pad, and a big hunk of Leupold's finest screwed to the top. It does everything I've ever asked of it and doesn't weigh much on the track.
Can you post a pic of the birch stock just out of curiosity?

I'm not a newbie. Work in the shooting industry. My last 30 cal was 30-06 then 30-06 AI; 10+ years back. Have harvested numerous elk with several 6.5's and 338's at 810, 820 and 950 yds. Getting older so want a lighter build. Basically, an elk rifle for LR; not ELR. I've been shooting PRS/NRL before their was a PORS/NRL so my abilities are there.

Rem 700 LA Mag bolt face, SS
Proof Carbon, 20-22", 30 Cal. 8 twist. Sendero or Sendero Light TBD.
Likely a Proof Carbon stock with BDL BM.
Timney CE 2-stage trigger
Optics to be determined but likely some NF flavor
Muzzle break or likely Thunderbeast 30 Ultra

Thinking 300 WM, 300 PRC or 30 Nosler. I don't have experience with any of them.

Any pitfalls, issues, problematic/perceived or real I might miss? Throw in any additional info, if you wish.

Thank you

All 3 cartridges you have listed have ADG brass available and Peterson for the Nos. We have done load development on quite a few proof rifles in those cartridges the majority being 300PRC's. 20-22" proof cf sendero barrel with a suppressor and NX8 or a March, You'll be at 9-10lbs. Recoil with a Sico harvester is not bad at all. I would run a 205gr Berger elite hunter, 215 hybrid, or a hammer bullet. As someone mentioned dont go with the sendero lite on a magnum .30cal, it's not worth the few mere ounces you save. A friend of mine had hell getting his 300 norma to shoot with the Sendero lite contour also. Some have mentioned the 300WSM but no one makes decent brass for it yet and it won't keep up with the other 3 you listed. If you want to run a short barrel on a L/A might as well take full advantage of it for LR Elk. I personally would build a 300 PRC or 30SM on a 20" barrel. 300win and the PRC have good factory ammo if that matters but all 3 are good options just comes down to preference.

I love my Bergara B14 Hunter in 300 Win Mag. I bought this rifle as a hunting rifle, so I was looking at things like ammo availability anywhere I take it, and a nice weight, not too light or heavy. Shoots great too, recoil is easy peasy :) No complaints about the 300 Win Mag.

Finished initial testing earlier today on this Proof Glacier Ti
24" bbl 199HH @ 2900 FPS
Scoped Rifle minus bi-pod is 7lb 11oz
2BA308AE-65F8-4610-B660-9BD6707460DB.jpeg

CA6FA378-21CD-4746-9F06-2719078113E0.jpeg

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts