Which bullet for 300 RUM

TORCHRIDER

I am building a 300RUM with 26" barrel which will be used for long range (600-1000) paper and steel as well as occasional Big Game. My barrel has a standard throat so seating loooong bullets will likely eat up some powder room. If I were to pick one bullet to build an accurate load around which bullet would you recommend I start with?

Thanks,

Dave

I would do the 210 berger because of the price and it will satisfy your criteria. For a pure hunting bullet that only gets shot a few times a year I like the 180 grain cutting edge bullet. It is expensive but not an issue with a hunting rifle. It gives excellent performance on game, is as accurate as any bullet, and the best ballistics to 1000 yards.

If more targets than game 210 berger, possibly 208 a max if you can get them to shoot.

If more game than target 200 accubond would be tough to beat.

93.0 of H50BMG under 208 grain AMAX's has been a sweet spot in 2 different 300RUMs of mine. There is plenty of room for the powder and bullet. Even if it needs to be seated deep.

Velocity for my old barrel was 2900 and my current one is 2855. Not blazing fast by any means but accurate as heck and the numbers out to and somewhat past 1000 yards are incredible.

Look at the EOL range test and look at the bullets I used. I would pick one of those and go with it. They are the only bullets that have been mentioned here other than the heavy SMK and I would have used it but was out of the 240's so that should tell you something.

I mentioned the target bullet such as the 208 amax or 210 berger because you said targets and maybe an occasional animal. Good luck with your choice and you can't really go wrong with these suggestions.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.