Which .25?

I would consider the 25 Creedmoor. First because brass for the 25CM has been obtainable lately (and its easy to make from 6mm Creedmoor which brass is also easy to find) and also the new heavy 25 cal Berger bullets have not been too hard to find either. Second the efficiency of the cartridge is great-- 41-42 grains of powder will push a 133 grain bullet 2900+fps. My buddy killed an elk in Colorado last fall at 780 yards with his 25 creedmoor and the 133 Berger. Barrel life is pretty good also so going to the range doesn't create worries about shortening the life of your hunting rig too much.
There are sexier 25's for sure but with the shortage of components and cost of things, the 25 creed has a lot of upside. Just my $.02.

For what you are describing, a 250 AI sounds like ticket. Low recoil, great accuracy and with 100 gr. Ballistic Tips or Sierra I can get 3200 FPS with a 23" barrel. Also, with 75 gr. Hornadys you get 3500 FPS and you can turn a coyote or ground hog inside out.

As long as you stay within 400 yds. or so, it's all that you will ever need for whitetails.

PO Ackley is quoted as saying the 250 AI is the most efficient of any of his wildcats.

Im with a lot of other guys who are 25 cal fans and have several.

I would go 257 WTBY. I know there are faster ones out there. I just had a fast twist 257 WTBY built and it has met or exceeded all my expectations. I can shoot 90 hammers as well as 129 hammers and deer dont care they just flop.

You opened a can of worms and are going to get every reply in the book but ultimately pick one and go there isnt a right or wrong answer.

If you were building a new rifle in 25 caliber for hunting and occasional target shooting, which one would it be and why? I'm in western NC so extreme ranges aren't likely but I would like to have the option to shoot the longer heavier bullets but probably would not purpose build it for one particular bullet. I like speed so I am thinking 100-115 grain bullets for the most part but I am open to any and all suggestions. Thanks!
I Built to 2506 one for me and one for my son. Awesome caliber

If you were building a new rifle in 25 caliber for hunting and occasional target shooting, which one would it be and why? I'm in western NC so extreme ranges aren't likely but I would like to have the option to shoot the longer heavier bullets but probably would not purpose build it for one particular bullet. I like speed so I am thinking 100-115 grain bullets for the most part but I am open to any and all suggestions. Thanks!
The 25 cals. are underrated in my opinion. I have a 250 sav. in a Remington 788. Love it! Very accurate, efficient and easy to shoot. Not the fastest but reliable and easy to load for. The 257 Roberts is a great choice also. Good luck with whichever you choose.

Thot I'd chime in here and share with you what my experience is. I've shot a 2506 a lot, burned out a barrel. Am still on the fence what to rebarrel it in. Leaning towards a 2506 again. But I'd go fast twist and try some heavies in it just to see firsthand what that's all about. And if I dont like it I can still shoot the lightweights in it. Won't go AI cuz the gain isnt worth it to me and a couple guys I know can't get them to shoot well. 2506 kills deer dead, but if You hit between the ribs you've got a long tracking job ahead of you. Happened to me twice. And in my Tikka M695, I've got all the room in my mag so I can make my coal as long as I want, literally. That might change with the heavy long bullets if I go that way.

I also have a 257 WBY. Yeah it's faster and louder, but I doubt I'd go that way again cuz the amount of powder you have to put in the case to only get a few hundred fps more isn't worth it to me. But it was fun while it lasted cuz I've burned a barrel with it too (that didn't take long), might rebarrel it in a fast twist.

But if all I wanted was a round for hunting deer and plinking I'd go 270W, based on the experience I have, having shot both extensively. More authority, bigger wound channel, same price to shoot, maybe cheaper in some comparisons.

Hi, Go to the top! King of 25's the Grand 257 Weatherby‼️ 2nd choice is 25-06, I love mine

I have 257 rob 257 rob AI 250 Ai 2506 2506 AI 25 284 25 saum 25 300 wsm 25 stw and trying to build a 25 wrpm
ID think you are pretty well .25 enriched😎 I was going to mentioned the .257 Roberts but thought maybe it was too.... out of vogue. Still a fine old round and has the reputation of a great deer cartridge. I think now and again about building one.