Which cartridge??

RichCoyle

I have used Oregon gunsmithing in Pendleton Oregon couple times to rebore barrels. Results have been excellent. I have a 7 mm that is about worn out and I'm going to go to a .300 RUM, 338 RUM, or 338 edge.

I'm curious if you folks could tell me which might be the most popular of these cartridges because as soon as I fire three shots, I'm going to sell it.

It's a Proof carbon fiber barrel, Pierced titanium action, and a Jack Keister carbon fiber stock. It weighs 6 and 1/2 lb without the scope.

I'd say a .300Rum will be your best bet. You'll find factory ammo for the 300 compared to the latter.

Is there a reason you're going with these three as choices?

If you're just going to sell it, I'd suggest a newer, more media blown up caliber like one of the PRCs.

I'd say a .300Rum will be your best bet. You'll find factory ammo for the 300 compared to the latter.

Is there a reason you're going with these three as choices?

If you're just going to sell it, I'd suggest a newer, more media blown up caliber like one of the PRCs.
ya i would think a prc would be the quickest turnaround. seen a bit of talk around 338LM lately. but of course, this is all speculation.
any rum in that light weight combo would be a big punch in the arm

ya i would think a prc would be the quickest turnaround. seen a bit of talk around 338LM lately. but of course, this is all speculation.
any rum in that light weight combo would be a big punch in the arm
Yea I've noticed that as well, weird how some calibers will come and go in popularity.

A good brake would be beneficial for the OP. Still would have a ton of jump I would think

Thanks, gentlemen, for the responses.

The present chambering is a .338 RUM necked to 7 mm with a long neck using 7 RUM brass to get an extra .100" neck lengths. It is still good for one moa, so I will use it this year. Therefore, it is stuck with a large chamber when rebored.

The reason I ask is so I have an idea of what I'm going to do next year.

When it didn't have a break I decided to shoot a five shot group. By the second shot I was finished but I went ahead and fired one more. The three shot group was 15/16 at 100 yards. With the brake it's 1 3/8" down to 11/16 at 300 yards for three shots.

I want to sell it so I can buy a Weatherby Mark 5 Titanium action rifle.

Thanks, gentlemen, for the responses.

The present chambering is a .338 RUM necked to 7 mm with a long neck using 7 RUM brass to get an extra .100" neck lengths. It is still good for one moa, so I will use it this year. Therefore, it is stuck with a large chamber when rebored.

The reason I ask is so I have an idea of what I'm going to do next year.

When it didn't have a break I decided to shoot a five shot group. By the second shot I was finished but I went ahead and fired one more. The three shot group was 15/16 at 100 yards. With the brake it's 1 3/8" down to 11/16 at 300 yards for three shots.

I want to sell it so I can buy a Weatherby Mark 5 Titanium action rifle.
Nice! Goodluck with it all!

How much is the cost of the rebore vs to rebarrel? The 300 rum would be the best choice for rebore unless your magazine is to short.

starzmania,

The Proof barrel cost about $900. Threading both ends and chambering was about $450. With Biden's inflation I would not even guess the present cost.

The last one I did was about $350. It went from 6.5mm to 8mm. It uses the same chamber. Wayne throated it and opened up the muzzle brake. Three shots about 5/8" at 100 yards.

starzmania,

The Proof barrel cost about $900. Threading both ends and chambering was about $450. With Biden's inflation I would not even guess the present cost.

The last one I did was about $350. It went from 6.5mm to 8mm. It uses the same chamber. Wayne throated it and opened up the muzzle brake. Three shots about 5/8" at 100 yards.

Forgot to add: It has 4" magazine.

Here in Presccott az Danny Peterson, Classic Barrel offered a rebore service. Most guys used this service with classic type rifles so they could put the firearm back into service with accuracy and retain the look and patina of the original gun. It would be interesting to know what Proof use to spec their barrels, caliber to barrel diameter "under the carbon" and if that is caliber specific. If not in the interest of safety maybe in accuracy versus heat/walking. It may be better to stay at 30 cal instead of 33.