Which .25?

25 sherman short tactical? I have a 257 bee and love it. Same as the one you said you have. My wife and I have killed 27 whitetail and mule deer and a i honestly can't remember how many antelope. I now run the 90 gr hammers at 4K. I'm very tempted to build a 25sst for barrel life good brass that's headstamped and is fun to shoot steel with.

I grew up behind a Roberts and still shoot it, also have an Encore 25-284. I am considering ordering a tikka pre-fit in 25 PRC, 7 twist. Let us know what you end up with.

Lol. I didn't build a 6 Creed just because and I will likely not build a 25 Creed for the same reason. I can't say never though. If someone can tell me why it's the best choice for a build I would consider it. I get the components argument and all. 25/06 brass has seemed to be non-existent for a while now
I'm not certain about forming 25-06 brass from 06s, but based on the 06 as the parent cartridge it has to be possible?? Just as this component drought started, I loaded up on 400, 30-06 cases so I could feed my .270 AI, 06, and 35 Whelen. And I guess in a real pinch could trim down and size the 06s to feed the .307 WInchester and .358 WInchester as well. As for building a .25 caliber, long range rifle to shoot the heavy weight bullets, I strongly recommend a 26 inch, fast twist barrel. I believe that barrel length is necessary to get all the velocity out of the over bore cartridges. Some will say that 26 inch barrel is too long for hunting, I haven't found that to be true. I have rifles that I hunt with, some have the original 22 inch factory barrels, and some have 26 inch barrels, I cannot really notice any difference in them for long range hunting. I will say that one year while deer hunting I ended up hunting in some dense woods and wished I was hunting with something other than that rifle with the 26 inch barrel though.

I rang every bit of performance I could out of a 25-06 with a 10tw and 115vld's. So now I'm building a 25-06AI with a 7.5tw to shoot the 135s. After that I'm building a 25 Grendel to shoot the 115vld. 25-06 and the improved version really do well from a 26" barrel and Retumbo. 25-284 is very close in performance to a standard 25-06.

Do you want to do serious fire forming?

I despise anything creedmoor just because it's creedmoor but the 25 creedmoor is the "easy button".

Personally I'd be going with a SA, if it were me. I like the efficiency of short actions. I always was a 25 Souper. Then the Creed came out and 25 Creed is a great option. I think they move the bullet fast enough, for hunting purposes 3k fps is always my goal and I don't think it's necessary to go much beyond that (I say this while at the same time am gathering components for a 22 creed). The SA offerings go from 257 Bob, 250 Savage, then their AI's, then the souper and creed. The next jump is into short magnums and the range on those gets extensive, there's the Shermans, then SAUM and the WSMs. I'd almost throw the 25-284 in that bunch too. Take your pick, pick the one that's most reasonable for you. That's what it comes down to at the end of the day.

257 Roberts, 25-06, 257 WBY are all great standard (and probably available) choices. I once met a guy with a 25-300WM variant. It all depends on how much time and work you want to invest. You can make it really simple or lot more complicated.

So why the 257 ?

How do you really plan to shoot it?

I shoot a 257 weatherby with heavy spooter creedmore barrel. Best shooting caliber I have owned. Long range no problem. Loading 100 gr. TSX

If you were building a new rifle in 25 caliber for hunting and occasional target shooting, which one would it be and why? I'm in western NC so extreme ranges aren't likely but I would like to have the option to shoot the longer heavier bullets but probably would not purpose build it for one particular bullet. I like speed so I am thinking 100-115 grain bullets for the most part but I am open to any and all suggestions. Thanks!
you would love a Roberts plus it is a classic i only have 3 a 22inch24 and 26.

I actually have a 257 WBY in a Remington 700 CDL stainless fluted that I bought new several years ago. I've not messed with it a whole lot, mainly because it's an absolutely beautiful gun the way it sits and I hate to mess that up. Plus, I don't remember what twist it is but I doubt it would be able to stabilize the longer bullets?

I have two 257 Wbys, a Vanguard and a Mark V. I have shot bullets up to 130 grains in them and they stabilize just fine. Factory barrels and factory chambering. Remember the long freebore in the Wby will allow you to seat the bullet out as far as you can in the magazine. I did find out that Roy was right, the jump to the lands allowed more powder to be used without causing an increase in pressure. Seating them too far out (single shot, too long for the magazine) would show an increase in pressure with the same amount of powder vs. shorter seating and allowing them to "jump".

Recent Posts