Which .25?

That is why I ask for a realistic budget. What is a realistic weight on a carry rifle? You must find the best compromise between your budget and your rifle set-up goal. For instance, on .257 WBY budget build; Savage LA Magnum = $300, Oryx chassis = $400, McGowen prefit/threaded for MB = $395. You can build it for under $1K depending on your choices of components.
I'd like to stay at or below $1,200. I don't have to have carbon fiber barrel or stock. I have a guy who will flute the barrel for a reasonable price to help shave weight. I don't know what an expected weight for a total package is? I'm used to hunting with Remington 700's with the cheap factory synthetic stocks so those packages are pretty light as they are.

Hands down, .257 Wby Mag with 26" plus tube. My wild-cat pick would the .25-240 Wby Mag I just like the looks.
How much difference in capacity between the 257 WBY and a wildcat 25-240? I'm familiar with the 257 case but not the 240.

I'd look at available brass from Lapua, Alpha, or Peterson... Good brass makes your life so much easier. So creedmoor, x47 for low recoil and barrel life. -284 or PRC for higher performance. Unless you just have to have laser flat and then you aren't going to beat the Bee.

I'd look at available brass from Lapua, Alpha, or Peterson... Good brass makes your life so much easier. So creedmoor, x47 for low recoil and barrel life. -284 or PRC for higher performance. Unless you just have to have laser flat and then you aren't going to beat the Bee.
Ugh, I don't want to build a Bee but I don't know if I can get what I want without it. I'm talking a 90% hunting rig so I'm not overly concerned about barrel life so maybe that is the answer.

I don't know what an expected weight for a total package is?
Total weight hunt ready, i.e., under 8 lbs. Below is my factory Kimber 84L Hunter in .30-06 re-chambered to .30 Gibbs.

.30 Gibbs scoped 1 of .jpg

.30 GIBBS weight.jpg

Total weight hunt ready, i.e., under 8 lbs. Below is my factory Kimber 84L Hunter in .30-06 re-chambered to .30 Gibbs.

View attachment 373292
View attachment 373290
What does a setup cost to get under 10 pounds hunt ready? I understand yours is under 8 but I think I would be tickled with most anything 10 and under. My wife will probably end up taking over this one so....

That depends on your baseline or components. You will have to do your own homework.
Understood. Was just hoping someone with more experience that had been down this road many times might offer insight. I know that it depends on gunsmith charges and components but was hoping you or someone else could say, if you are trying to do a build under $1,200 for the rifle and keep your weight down look in this direction. Like you did with the Savage build, thank you for that.

Understood. Was just hoping someone with more experience that had been down this road many times might offer insight. I know that it depends on gunsmith charges and components but was hoping you or someone else could say, if you are trying to do a build under $1,200 for the rifle and keep your weight down look in this direction. Like you did with the Savage build, thank you for that.
That's precisely what I did in #166. Because it was a prefit barrel, and Savage action's DIY friendliness, I do not have gunsmithing cost.

How much difference in capacity between the 257 WBY and a wildcat 25-240? I'm familiar with the 257 case but not the 240.
Oh... I'd say, like about a 30-06 AI and 308 Norma Mag cases for reference whatever their case volumes are, I'd think that would be comparable in the mind eye. So just think of the .240 Wby Mag as an 06 wildcat with a belt. Cheers