Whether to use horse on DIY Colorado 3rd season elk hunt

Horse for an experienced rider which includes a wrangler, versus on FOOT? You must be a lot younger than I am. No question. Horse won't scare the elk anything like you would yourself. Don't deafen the horse, please. Have a great time.

Horses do not scare the elk off. If anything they will get you closer to the elk. There have been several occasions where we have ridden right up on animals. The key is knowing when to get off. As soon as you start your dismount, that elk no longer sees the horse. They see you. If you can shoot from your horse, then you really have an advantage.

Jayson
I've seen the cannon's y'all shoot with muzzle brakes - there is no horse alive that will let you shoot off of its back! Lol

The first elk hunt I took my oldest son on when he was 15 we were on our horses and riding through the timber rode right into a herd of elk. A six point bull stood up from his bed about 30 feet from us. My son shot from off his horse with his 280 and the elk dropped. On foot we never would have walked into that herd of elk. The horses also came in handy for getting the elk out. Been hunting with horses for over 50 years. Wouldn't be without them.

Why a horse of course. I've been in those mountains many times, and a horse makes the hunt and pack out sooo much more fun.

Last edited:
I can't believe an elk hunter would diss Jeremiah Johnson movie, especially elk shot scene over the horse. Cuts me deep. You guys have made my decision, especially since we are at 10,000 most likely which kills my breathing. Lol. If I'm lucky this will be my 7th elk. Our odds suck though in this DIY ( <10%) so I'm trying to help my odds as this will be my 2nd DIY at this elevation. And I have learned the hard way I can't walk very far.

Last edited:
Yes I would use the horses. Yes I have used horses. Yes I did not hobble them in camp and a bear spooked them and they ran off, yes I hunted on foot for three days and the wranglers finally brought the horses back. Don't just tie them up be sure you use hobbles. Yes I was hunting out of Platoro and did get a big body 4x4. GL

I am booked for a elk hunt this CO 3rd rifle season ( high altitude probably ) in San Juan mountains. If I choose the outfitter will let me use a horse provided by him including a wrangler to handle horse chores ( feeding, etc). I am comfortable with riding horses. I have ridden his horses before into DIY camp thus I know the horses are good. Certain things are obvious in that I can cover more ground. But will horse also scare elk off. My question is whether the horse gives me a real advantage or not with the elk hunt during the week. Thanks in advance.
How is this a DIY hunt when you are using an outfitter? I am guessing you don't have a guide, but you use the outfitters camp horses etc?

Yeah fun fact:
Number one cause of cowboy death,
Thrown from horse.

Yet no helmet requirements on the books yet.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.