Colorado 3rd rifle season

buzzyb

going on my first elk hunt in Colorado 3rd season in 2025. I was wondering do you still elk calls that time of year?

Short answer is no. You will not typically be bugling back and forth with bulls that time of year as the rut would have long passed. That being said I still carry a call with me (typically just a cow elk call) even when hunting cows as a way of getting their attention when needed. However, you will most likely not be calling any elk to you that time of year. What unit are you looking into hunting?

For me , only heard them bugle and watched them play around And chase one another during the 4th season ,one year out of 12 or 13 years,we thought it was because of a real dry year? We weren't sure.
Then we switched to the second season 2 or three years ago, and this Last season they were still rutting some in the second season. It was fun to watch a nice Bull break out of a bunch of elk , bugleing, head back , tearing through the scrub oak,with a half dozen cows following him.
Still smile when I think about it.

I'm not an expert, nowhere near the experience as many on here, but elk hunting is my favorite of any. Saying that, I would not recommend a 3rd season hunt as someone's first. I think an earlier season would give a better experience. There is always a chance of bad weather, even in earlier seasons, but the odds of it go up the later it is.

I carry a cow elk call on every hunt. You can sometimes stop elk with a loud cow call but I wouldn't count on it. As far as finding them, I think some bulls and many cows are quite curious if they haven't been shot at during every daylight hour for a couple of months. I ran a cow calling sequence(no bugles) in November of this year and got a bull to answer with a weak bugle. Of course I couldn't find him. The next day I ran the same sequence about 400 yards from where I ran the first sequence. I turned my head to drink out of my hydration tube and when I turned back I saw the biggest bull I have seen in that drainage looking right at me. One more second was all I needed. He was gone before I could get the rifle to my shoulder. I never call in rifle season when I know there are people around.

I was part of a youth elk hunt the first weekend in December last year. There were bulls still in the herd and bugling. That said, the later in the year you go, the less effective bugling will be as an effective method for calling them in. Always have a cow call with you.

I carry a cow elk call on every hunt. You can sometimes stop elk with a loud cow call but I wouldn't count on it. As far as finding them, I think some bulls and many cows are quite curious if they haven't been shot at during every daylight hour for a couple of months. I ran a cow calling sequence(no bugles) in November of this year and got a bull to answer with a weak bugle. Of course I couldn't find him. The next day I ran the same sequence about 400 yards from where I ran the first sequence. I turned my head to drink out of my hydration tube and when I turned back I saw the biggest bull I have seen in that drainage looking right at me. One more second was all I needed. He was gone before I could get the rifle to my shoulder. I never call in rifle season when I know there are people around.
A couple things that are the same for me are ( if they haven't been shot at every daylight hour ), where we hunt the elk are always looking over their shoulder ,for someone to shoot at them , especially when we hunted the 4th season,by the time we get there all that was around were the smart fast ones , unless a storm moved some new animals through.
The part where you looked around and he was looking right at you is so true ,I have had it happen also .

Agree with earlier hunt for your first hunt if DIY. If your using a guide which would be very beneficial on your first time. You'll get a feel for what it takes especially if your on public ground. Typically Cow call only and leave it in your pack. They have been "call wise" from the previous two seasons. They will call in other hunters. Again a guide would be good however they are not cheap either, you paid what as a Non-Res, also second season is short and this is your first? Put the extra work in for the funding, plan and speak with at least 5 guides. You have 3 years to get ready you'll do the best you can at having that great experience. Then if you become an elkohalic we all have you will be better prepared to go it on your own. If you are very lucky and get one down. The real work begins on caring for the animal and getting it out of the trees. My wife and I been hunting elk together for 10 years now for some reason she enjoys the packing out process go figure. It takes us together to prep, quarter an elk about two hours into fly sheets. We are both in our 60's these days. GOOD LUCK and Have FUN it is hunting.