Colorado 3rd rifle season

I'm not an expert, nowhere near the experience as many on here, but elk hunting is my favorite of any. Saying that, I would not recommend a 3rd season hunt as someone's first. I think an earlier season would give a better experience. There is always a chance of bad weather, even in earlier seasons, but the odds of it go up the later it is.
This and the fact that they aren't pressured up and spooky. Be alot harder hunt 3rd season. You will need to get way off the beaten paths.

I don't typically call during rifle season but I do bring cow calls. If it's slow and there's other hunters around to mess with they can be kind of fun if you don't mind the risk.

buzzyb, you're going to have a great experience! All the info above is very valid. A guide should know all this. The one thing not mentioned is get yourself in as good of shape as possible! Bleacher climbing is an excellent warm up.
Don't forget to carry water daily and drink more than you think you need. An high altitude headaches are awful and debilitating. Just go prepared physically and mentally.

As of 2020. Parts of 77 are leased out to cattle operations. It's over populated with hunters, and outfitters with horses. Lots of bear sign, one either snuck up behind me or stubbled into me at about 15 feet before he spoked, scarred the crap out of both of us. Go deep and as far as you dare, to avoid atv traffic. I would say pray for early heavy snows, the kind that makes walking in the mountains suck more, that was the only time I saw elk on a daily basis. I think that's when they get pushed down from the north and you'll have less competition.

Recent Posts