Colorado 3rd Rifle Strategy

Garrett H.

Hello,

I will be hunting 3rd rifle (Colorado) this year for the first time. This is a new area I've never hunted before and it will be a drop camp hunt. Any suggestions or advice on hunting late season elk? This is a first for me as I've always done DIY 1st rifle or archery for Elk.

Thanks,

GH

if its a drop hunt, talk to your guide service--is this private land or public?
if no one to talk to and no time to scout then I suggest using all the available options on the net you can find--onx hunt maps, and CO cpw website have maps and overlays (like winter range, migration routs, etc) --its going to partially depend on what weather comes up before 3rd season too--if lots of snow hits your area then elk may be in different places than if light snow hits--migration patterns, hunting pressure, lots can happen before 3rd season

if its a drop hunt, talk to your guide service--is this private land or public?
if no one to talk to and no time to scout then I suggest using all the available options on the net you can find--onx hunt maps, and CO cpw website have maps and overlays (like winter range, migration routs, etc) --its going to partially depend on what weather comes up before 3rd season too--if lots of snow hits your area then elk may be in different places than if light snow hits--migration patterns, hunting pressure, lots can happen before 3rd season
It's public land. Thanks for the suggestions.

https://www.onxmaps.com/hunt-app?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIpp3YzKyA5QIVDdbACh1_OAWLEAAYASAAEgL3vvD_BwE

https://ndismaps.nrel.colostate.edu/index.html?app=HuntingAtlas

if you want more suggestions, you'll probably need to disclose what area you are going to

last year I hunted 3rd season down near the southern border, opening day it snowed 6" I was not on the elk but heard 2 others take a shot and saw tracks in the snow heading out of the area-- after opening day, no more elk or track were seen the whole season in my area, they move from weather, hunting pressure and they move fast and far--good luck

https://www.onxmaps.com/hunt-app?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIpp3YzKyA5QIVDdbACh1_OAWLEAAYASAAEgL3vvD_BwE

https://ndismaps.nrel.colostate.edu/index.html?app=HuntingAtlas

if you want more suggestions, you'll probably need to disclose what area you are going to

last year I hunted 3rd season down near the southern border, opening day it snowed 6" I was not on the elk but heard 2 others take a shot and saw tracks in the snow heading out of the area-- after opening day, no more elk or track were seen the whole season in my area, they move from weather, hunting pressure and they move fast and far--good luck
It is unit 18. Let me know if you need more info.

18 is a big unit, any idea of general area? that area near granby/grand lake sulphur springs is nice area

I heard over near middle fork is a decent place to scout out

--ha, they all go to rmnp when the pressure gets high, just go to estes park!!

well not all of them, but a bunch do anyway--try deep dark draws, gullies, drainage, heavily tree'd steep areas, places away from other people and roads

you are almost full moon for 3rd season so they may be more active at night and less in the day

if you bomb out, take an extra day to relax after season is over and take a soak in the hot springs http://hotsulphursprings.com/history/

I'm also going third rifle this year. I'll be solo and it's my first hunt. I've studied onX maps in my particular unit. I've got areas in the higher elevations picked out if there's no significant weather, and other areas in the lower elevations to look if the weather has already pushed them down. I'm more than a little worried about the near full moon, but that's the only time I could fit a hunt I'm my schedule. Good luck and let us know how it goes for you.

As it is a drop camp, I believe you have better access to wilder places, such as the far side of Lake Granby, where you are hunting very near the Rocky Mt NP border, and not many hoof it back that far.
+1 on Hot Sulphur Springs. Would be perfect after a series of days hunting. Also, the Sheriff and Kinney Creek areas just due E on Hi40 are worth looking at... the higher areas around those drainages are not bad.

I'v got a 4th E/S in 28,37, it's going to be a weather dependent unit?! Lot of waypoints, but they may be ded holes and weather just hit Denver! Cow 2nd 18.

Last edited:
4th much more weather dependent than 3rd but you never know. In any case, be ready with chains and for snows, snowshoes are not a bad idea. If your area includes 181, the backside of Wolford Res is not bad. A huge parcel of blm land with access by way of a series of 4x4 trails.

My buddy drew a 3rd season Muley tag for unit 35. I was going to go with to help and buy a over the counter elk tag. Has anyone hunted that unit before, is it worth getting a tag or Just helping my friend on his hunt? Any input is greatly appreciated as I have never hunted there.

4th much more weather dependent than 3rd but you never know. In any case, be ready with chains and for snows, snowshoes are not a bad idea. If your area includes 181, the backside of Wolford Res is not bad. A huge parcel of blm land with access by way of a series of 4x4 trails.
Did that today! Pulled out all the winter truck gear. New tires inbound and another set of chains.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.