Where to start with hobby gunsmithing

SCdeerhunter

So it's pretty much always been a dream of mine to work on rifles. Where would you guys suggest I start? I don't intend to make a living doing it. Just a small hobby/side business(as in working on friends rifles). Would like to be able to true actions, rebarrel, install muzzle brake, etc. Obviously I'd need a lathe and all the specialized equipment. Is it possible to learn all this by trial and error? I'd like to find some courses in machine work, etc. Moving to Colorado next year for work and know there's a couple trade school's out there that offer gunsmithing but I'm not sure if I could do it with the work schedule. Not in any particular rush to do all this but would like to be able to within the next 5 years or so. So, where would you guys suggest I start?
Thanks,
David

Edit- I would like some sort of formal education on the matter to avoid having a rifle blow up in my face lol. Not the sort to read stuff online and try to attempt it unless it's from a very credible source

I would recommend starting at the beginning and learn the basics first.

Dave Manson sells a good book to start with By John Hinnant.

First step is to understand the basics of achieving accuracy. Start with factory rifles and learn how to make them shoot better by using the basics of cleaning, bedding, floating, trigger work, stock fit and finish, and loading for a particular rifle/pistol.

When you start to see results/improvements then expand your knowledge
buy reading and using many of the Gunsmithing Books that specialize in certain parts of Gunsmithing.

Take it slow and don't get in a hurry, It will come. make every job better than the last and this will serve you well.

At some point, you will/should want to take some courses in a good gun smith school. you will understand and get more from the school if you have some previous knowledge.

Gunsmiths are not made in a few years. In fact you never stop learning if you want to be a good Gunsmith.

Just My Recommendation

J E CUSTOM

Thanks for replying. I pretty much have no choice but to slowly work up to it due to finances. Can't afford to jump all in so to speak. Your suggestion to learn as much as possible prior to taking courses does make a lot of sense though. I'll also check that book out. Any other books on the subject you'd recommend? I love to read anyways and tend to learn pretty well that way. I had already planned on trying to buy a cheap 700 doing the upgrades myself over time as money allows, minus rebarreling and such. Thank you for the suggestions though. I'll get there eventually.

Night classes at a community college to learn the basics of machining. NRA Summer Gunsmithing 1-2 week courses after that, especially if you're near one of the schools that host those classes.
Thanks for the info. I did not know there were NRA courses that short. While ive wanted to do this for a while I've only recently thought about trying to do it so still in the beginning of researching it all.

Might throw liability insurance in the mix compliant wit your state law.
Yeah I've also thought about the potential for lawsuits. That's one reason I just want it to be a hobby and only for close friends. Even then maybe it'd be smart to have then sign some sort of release of liability form? Not sure how all that stuff goes in court though.

And unfortunately, you'll need an FFL.

I, too, inquired about this and found a course for ONLY $21000.

But you're right, start with the basics of machining before you start about guns.

Larry
Tinkerer

And unfortunately, you'll need an FFL.

I, too, inquired about this and found a course for ONLY $21000.

But you're right, start with the basics of machining before you start about guns.

Larry
Tinkerer
Haha yeah, only $21k. That's just pocket change to us regular folks lol. I'm going to take JE's advise and start slow. Try to take a course here and there and along the way try to learn the machining and metallurgy aspect of it. Since I have no desire to try and do it as a career there's really no rush. It'd be fun to do it on the side one day but even that's dependant on a lot of factors.

NRA Summer Gunsmithing are under $400 for a week. Many to choose from, from beginner to advanced. You'd probably end up spending $1000-$1500 when you count in room and board. There is more to gunsmithing than barrel work, much more. But barrel work has been the most talked about in the past few years on the interdnet, most other tasks ignored. Stockmaking & finishing, engraving, metal finishing (there are other metal finishes than the spray-on , and those require some serious skill), the list goes on. While I was in school, many struggled trying to "make the grade" in the other things taught, not just the machining end.

like shortgrass said; There are many other things that must be learned
and they don't come with liability issues. and your idea of working on your own stuff first is the right way to get started.

There are many aspects of Gunsmithing that doesn't require an FFL, and you need to be familiar with these before you start doing work for others
and charging them. then when you think you are ready, start the process of getting the equipment and all the license and insurance to do the work for money.

Also as shortgrass said, Machining is not all there is to being a good Gunsmith, You must have skill and craftsmanship to be good at it.

J E CUSTOM

NRA Summer Gunsmithing are under $400 for a week. Many to choose from, from beginner to advanced. You'd probably end up spending $1000-$1500 when you count in room and board. There is more to gunsmithing than barrel work, much more. But barrel work has been the most talked about in the past few years on the interdnet, most other tasks ignored. Stockmaking & finishing, engraving, metal finishing (there are other metal finishes than the spray-on , and those require some serious skill), the list goes on. While I was in school, many struggled trying to "make the grade" in the other things taught, not just the machining end.
That's a lot more affordable than some of the other options. And very good point about the other things. Finishes is another area I'm wanting to learn too.
like shortgrass said; There are many other things that must be learned
and they don't come with liability issues. and your idea of working on your own stuff first is the right way to get started.

There are many aspects of Gunsmithing that doesn't require an FFL, and you need to be familiar with these before you start doing work for others
and charging them. then when you think you are ready, start the process of getting the equipment and all the license and insurance to do the work for money.

Also as shortgrass said, Machining is not all there is to being a good Gunsmith, You must have skill and craftsmanship to be good at it.

J E CUSTOM
So what aspect of it woul you need the ffl for? Only when you supply the action correct? And for ppl to send you guns through the mail? But yeah I would never attempt to work on other ppls guns until I can do it to mine. If I screw up mine that's one thing lol don't wanna screw up anyone else's.

That's a lot more affordable than some of the other options. And very good point about the other things. Finishes is another area I'm wanting to learn too.

So what aspect of it would you need the ffl for? Only when you supply the action correct? And for ppl to send you guns through the mail? But yeah I would never attempt to work on other ppls guns until I can do it to mine. If I screw up mine that's one thing lol don't wanna screw up anyone else's.

There are many limiting factors and my recommendations would be to find the/a FFL manual and revue all the requirements before starting a
go from there. There are also some state requirements that must be met and these should also be clear before you start. Far to many to quote.

J E CUSTOM

Any time a gunsmith takes in work that he can not do "right now", "on the spot", and must be kept over night, must be logged into his 'bound book' as per ATFE regs. (and logged out when it leaves, preferably with the person who left it with you,,, anyone else, his wife, his son,, form 4473 and NICS check). At any point, if you are "in the business", full time, part time, doesn't matter, a FFL is required. Whether you supply the receiver, order for others (or yourself), buy/sell/trade or not,, if you are "in the business" to profit (and with the expense of any and all gunsmithing tools and equipment you can not even do friends guns for free unless you do not value your time at all, and a pat on the back is enough) you are required to be licensed. And, think of this, no FFL, no gunsmith liability insurance. You can not imagine how much information I have been required to supply insurance carriers with (think several pages of policies and procedures for your 'company'), including a copy of my Federal Firearms License, to be covered. Life ain't simple. And then there are sales taxes, state income taxes and the IRS,,, and we still have ITAR even though the White House has changed occupants. Ever wonder why gunsmithing costs what it does? Work on and modify your own, personal firearms and don't worry about it!

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.