Where to start (I need to learn everything)

Tarheelpwr

Hi,

So, I'm just getting into gun, well tinkering anyway. I don't know much of anything, lol. I want to slowly grow my gunsmithing knowledge/skill to where I can do everything myself within reason.

Is there a good cache of these kind of resources? I looked at some of the online universities like Ashworth, but at $600+ I'm just not sure it's worth it. I'm hoping someone can point me to a place that:

1) Describes the different services and how/what they do.

i.e. glass bedding, pillar bedding, lapping lugs, etc etc

2) Describes how to perform the said items.

i.e. pref with pictures/videos

3) Lists tools & skills necessary.

If a comprehensive course like Ashworth college is worth it, let me know. I just presume there is a good resource out there somewhere.

Thanks,
TP

EDIT: I know there's lots you can search for online, but you never know the source. I know some people are GREAT resources, but lots of armchair warriors also make you think their Navy SEALs

Last edited:
One of the respected junior college gunsmith programs and machine shop classes at the local community college would be worth the money, the online university "gunsmith" courses I have my doubts about.

John Hinnant's "Complete Illustrated Guide to Precision Rifle Barrel Fitting" is a great resource as is the old(but still absolutely relevant) South Bend "How to Run a Lathe" book.

The gunsmithing forum at Benchrest Central is a good resource, lots of information from some very knowledgable and well respected gunsmiths(both amateur and professional) who are willing to share. There are several amateur machinist forums online that are a wealth of information also.

That being said...I'm not a gunsmith...just a guy who owns a bunch of guns, and a lathe. I've been tearing stuff apart and(usually) putting it back together since I was a little kid. You're going to f*$& something up at some point, hopefully you learn from it. Firearms are for the most part fairly simple mechanical devices but you might be best off picking up an old lawn mower or blender or something to tear apart/put back together and see how it works first.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.