Where to have rifle built?

Bigeclipse

All,
Last year I built my wife a really nice shooting savage rifle with a Boyds stock cut to fit her (her length of pull is about 12-12.5inches). It shoots VERY well, however, I have decided I would like to purchase another rifle for her as a back up rifle. What happened is we noticed that her rifle scope was damaged the morning of a hunt which left her with only one of my rifles to shoot, which she can shoot but it is really not optimal as my length of pull is the typical 13.5-13.75. I was looking at getting her a Savage Lady Hunter which looks like it would be a decent option but then I thought maybe I could go through a gun builder or something. I am not looking for a crazy expensive custom nor will this be a long range rifle so 1 MOA(ish) would be fine. The savage I built her came out "ok" but I think something on a Remington action would be better. I was thinking a standard Remington 700 with a customized stock (bedded) would be great for her. The problem is there are no gunsmiths in my area to do any of that work. I have bedded one rifle so far and although the rifle shoots great the appearance of the bedding job leaves a bit to be desired. She would desire a lighter weight rifle in the 7-8lb range for just the rifle so no thick barrels and possibly stainless but blued is definitely ok as well. What are all your thoughts? Is there a gunsmith on this forum maybe who could do this for not a CRAZY expensive price? Budget would be a concern and may force me to go with the Lady Hunter. I would like to keep it near the 1000$ mark.

If you like Remington actions I'd suggest buy a BDL in desired caliber and bolt it to an HS Precision stock ordered to your desired length of pull. My limited experience is the aluminum chassis on the HS does a great job for the price. This strategy should get you under budget.

give the tikka rifles a look , most are good shooters . then just have the stock cut to fit her . blued ones sell for around $500 , stainless sell for around $600 . blued walnut around $650 .

Last edited:
If you want any rifle work done Kevin cram at Montour county rifles is top notch. He currently has my 308 for a re-barrel and action blueprinting, and will have much more work from me in the future.

She would desire a lighter weight rifle in the 7-8lb range for just the rifle so no thick barrels and possibly stainless but blued is definitely ok as well. What are all your thoughts? Is there a gunsmith on this forum maybe who could do this for not a CRAZY expensive price? Budget would be a concern and may force me to go with the Lady Hunter. I would like to keep it near the 1000$ mark.

Depending on chambering, you might also want to consider the Savage 11/111 LH (Savage Arms) or 16/116 LH (Savage Arms), weight is 5.5 lbs and 5.65 lbs respectively.

For what it is worth, I like the way Boyd's recommendation in determining the LOP ...

[ame]https://youtu.be/qOgIPbzKHWI?t=137[/ame]

give the tikka rifles a look , most are good shooters . then just have the stock cut to fit her . blued ones sell for around $500 , stainless sell for around $600 . blued walnut around $650 .

If I was not buying a Savage it would be a Tikka.

Er Shaw rifle but 12 mo waiting 750$ + 300$ B&C
Northland shooters supply savage action 430& and barrel 300$, recoil lug and nut 60$ they might put together for you free or with little charge. B&C medalist custom lop stock~300$.
I heard good things about this guy Savage Rifle Precision Gunsmithing - Bent Bolts for the Mosin-Nagant and Custom Gunsmithing, CerakoteGun-Kote and Hydrographics

If you want to stay with Savage I'll go what FEENIX said.
Or Tikka T3x compact crazy accurate even with original stock.

You would need a killer sense of humor to charge $125 to screw on a Savage barrel. That's roughly $1000 an hour. I'm in on that kinda $$$.

Sorry I was referring to the name :cool: ...

Attachments

• Big Gorilla.JPG
    Big Gorilla.JPG
    33.9 KB · Views: 95
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.