Where to buy MRE's?

hillajam

I've been looking around the net for MRE's to try, but I can't seem to find anyone that sells them in singles. I have only found one site that sells them seperate, the rest of them your have to buy a box of twelve meals.

I personally just want to buy a couple entre's just to see if I like them or not. I've heard some people say they like them and others say they hate them so I need to see for myself.

Also, where do you guys buy your MRE's? Is there a place where you can get them for really cheap? The cheapest and only place I found that sells them in singles is costs $2.95 per entre, is that a good price. That sounded high to me. I also wanted to use the heater bags to save on weight.

I'm planning an Elk trip in CO for the archery season in 2009 and that is why I want to start looking into these to see if I like them enough.

I would also like to know if I do end up liking them, can you order a box with just the entre's and not all the other stuff like crackers, jelly, spoons , etc...?

Thanks for your help

Imho

MRE's--I had to eat them when i was Wildland fire fighting. I know you want to try them for your self, but I would suggest the frez dried stuff at REI and a jet boil!

MRE's were not the worst thing I have eaten, but I have not sought them out for packing in on a hunt.

Check out some local army surplus stores. I haev seen them there.

Good luck

I used to see them in an on-base commisary(I'm not sure how to spell that but it is just the grocery store for active military bases) but it has been awhile and they may not sell them individually anymore.

Don't care for 'em myself. I have been pleased with the Mountain House freeze dried.

Believe you could pick up a couple mre's to try at an army navy surplus. Smith and Edwards in Willard Bay, Utah would surely send you some.

mre

I didn't mind them but when you are out in the middle of nowhere and that is your only food anything tastes pretty good.I believe Cheaper Than Dirt catalog and internet sight sells the mountain house kind individually or check ebay they always have some of that stuff

We get them from Cheaper Than Dirt. I think they are great, if I wasn't married, I think I could live on them. The only one I don't like is the beef & bean barrito. That one is tough. We usually get them w/o the heater, just put the ontre still in it's foil bag into a pot of hot water for a little bit. Eat right from the foil bag. No dishes, no fuss, doesn't get any better. The last thing I want to do in elk camp is cook and clean, especially in early season.

Steve

I like the newest version of MRE's with the heater in them. They are filling and they give you the right amount of Calories etc. that your body needs. They taste almost as good as the freeze dried in my opinion. Plus it is a complete meal. Freeze dried costs more if you want a complete meal.
I love Mountian house freeze dried foods from REI and other outdoor stores. Fred meyers sells them for a little cheaper I think and normally have a fair stock of them. REI has a great selection of freeze dried food.

We had a pile of them after hurricane Katrina and they just kept bringing more ,I personaly would rather somthing else if I had the choice but if your onl;y able to eat one meal a day I'm sure they would suffice. They are not desgined to eat three meals a day unless your realy humping a long way all day long you will actualy gain weight.

Their are alot better choices for back packers ,moutain climbers and such. I'd rather pack a couple pounds of meal bars and water than a bunch of MRE's ,their realy not that convienent

MRE's

Just my thoughts here I have been in the ARMY 9 years and have eaten a few of these.......... At first they arnt that bad and you can live on them but after you eat them for 2 or 3 months strait you with loath them.

The cheese is the most sought after. Jalapano cheese is best the bacon is ok and regular cheese is better than peanut butter which WILL PLUG YOU UP. Make sure you kneed the cheese packet for at least 1 min before opening as the oil seams to seperate from the cheese and if you dont mash it all back togher you will be sorry.

The good one's

Beef enchalada/Jalapano cheese
Chicken cavitile
Chicken brest/cheese
Pork patty/ you get the clam chowder
Beef patty/cheese with Bacon
Chicken fajita/cheese
Spaghetti

The BAD ONE's

Jambalia/ TASTE LIKE ****
Spicy Penna pasta/taste like paste

I am sure I left a few out and the ones you get at the surplus store might be off the old menu but they were better. Just a note the heaters do go bad and I would say on average that one in every box of 24 one heater is bad. But it's ok they are allready cooked and some do take better cold.

Here is my Favorite
Beef enchalada
Heat and cut open allong length crush up your crackers and pour them in the squeeze in you cheese and mix it up then flavor to tast with tabasco

Thanks for all the help guys. I'm gonna have to try all the different ones and see which I like better. Mountain house, MRE's, heater meals I saw at cabelas. I'm planning on packing in so I want to save on weight and less stuff to bring, ie stove and utensils. I'll check out that cheaper than dirt place.
Thanks

The weight thing is a big issue if you're packing in. I packed in for 6 days in 07 & freeze dried or dehydrated is the only way to go. MREs are ok for base camp though, convenient & some are pretty tasty. There is a company called Enertia Trail Foods that offers dehydrated meals that are supposed to be real good. I haven't tried them yet but plan to before my 08 pack in - they have some interesting entrees.

I guess I misspoke. I'm getting packed in on horse back then spiking out from there.

I just got back from the military surplus store and they had a folding stove that is about the size of a coaster for your cups and it takes some cube things for heat. Anyone know how this works?

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.