where oh where to put the tag

azdesertrat

i got an elk hunt comeing up and im gona pack in and hopefully pack an elk out, my question though is where the heck do u put the tag on a boned out cow elk? its ben a head scratcher for me

not sure on the game laws there, but its always a pretty good idea to leave proof of sex attached to the meat you are packing out. Other than that, throw the tag in the meat bag.

i was always told the tag goes with the major portion of the meat. you could call the local FWP and they tell for sure though

AZ does not require proof of sex. The tag is for antlerless elk, not necessarily a cow. You could shooT a male elk as long as it does not have antlers that extend through the skin. (button bull, so to speak.) You need to be able to produce the head (showing no antlers) should the G&F ask for it. Slice a hole in the ear and put the tag there.

AZ does not require proof of sex. The tag is for antlerless elk, not necessarily a cow. You could shooT a male elk as long as it does not have antlers that extend through the skin. (button bull, so to speak.) You need to be able to produce the head (showing no antlers) should the G&F ask for it. Slice a hole in the ear and put the tag there.
damb it i was worried that would be the case, i was hope'n to avoid have'n to pack out that hevy head,that'll only be an extra probaly 30-40 lbs, oh well gota stay all leagal. thanks for all the info

In idaho you must leave proof of sex attatched to the largest peice of meat and the tag must be with it as well.
Dont make no sense to me but Had that discussion with F&G this year.
This means you have to cut everything up smaller by the book
retiredcpo

damb it i was worried that would be the case, i was hope'n to avoid have'n to pack out that hevy head,that'll only be an extra probaly 30-40 lbs, oh well gota stay all leagal. thanks for all the info

Skin out the head and leave the tag attached to the ear. You don't need to have the skull and jaw bone.

Skin out the head and leave the tag attached to the ear. You don't need to have the skull and jaw bone.
now that is an exalent idea, im glad you said that cals i honestly dont think ida thalt about that, 2lbs or so of hide definately beats the heck out of 40lbs of head, my back thanks you

Not sure about the state you are in but In Idaho
if the head is not attatched the tag must be on the biggest peice of meat which
must also have proof of sex on it.
I boned out mine this year and got was informed having the tag on the horns was a big mistake I left sex attached to a big peice of meat but put the tag on the horns. then I learned I was wrong
Ask the fish and game cops in your state before
retiredcpo

Not sure about the state you are in but In Idaho
if the head is not attatched the tag must be on the biggest peice of meat which
must also have proof of sex on it.
I boned out mine this year and got was informed having the tag on the horns was a big mistake I left sex attached to a big peice of meat but put the tag on the horns. then I learned I was wrong
Ask the fish and game cops in your state before
retiredcpo
as desertbull was sayin its anlerless so a calf bull without horns breaking the hair line is legal to kill, in arizona tags are either antlered or antlerless in place of bull or cow witch i think helps when ur in the thick of it, its easyer to look for horns than uhhh proof of sex on galoping elk. is good to know not all states go by the same rules for sex seeing as im planin to start doing alot more out of state hunting this next year, ill have to make shure i read threw there rags carefuly

as desertbull was sayin its anlerless so a calf bull without horns breaking the hair line is legal to kill, in arizona tags are either antlered or antlerless in place of bull or cow witch i think helps when ur in the thick of it, its easyer to look for horns than uhhh proof of sex on galoping elk. is good to know not all states go by the same rules for sex seeing as im planin to start doing alot more out of state hunting this next year, ill have to make shure i read threw there rags carefuly

I thought lookin for horns was the same thing as looking for proof of sex.....

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.