Where to acquire exbal program

bounty hunter 2

I have been reading here about using a ballistic program in conjunction with a hand held pc in the field. Everything I have read here pointed me to the exbal program but what I am reading seems to be abut 10 year old information.
Trying to acquire the exbal program has yielded no results. Everywhere I go that is supposed to have it available give me a page can not be displayed message.
Could someone please either help me to find a source to acquire the exbal program or please inform me on what folks are using now 10 years later than what I am reading.
This is becoming so very frustrating as no matter how I try to find it I always reach a dead end. Could someone please help?

Before we were issued a Trimble or I started using a smart phone with the available apps, I used a palm with exbal downloaded onto it. If you are looking for the Palm version I can see if I can find the disk for you to download. Last I used it was three seasons back as a backup.

Bravo 4
That will be great if you can find it.
So what is the go to system that is being used now that has taken place of the exbal system?
I would sure like to come up with something I can use in the field that I can enter the conditions of the moment to get a better first shot probability rather than printed cards from my home pc.
I am hunting coyote on a professional level so have to connect in one shot because coyotes seldom allow two shots. I hunt alone so spotting misses for correction is about impossible.
I dot have a brake on my rifle a 6.5x06 Ackley so recoil causes me to loose sight picture so I seldom see where misses land.
I have to keep first shot hits in the high 90's percent or I am not making wages.
Sure will appreciate any help to get steered in the right direction.

Most people I know use an app downloaded to their smartphone. Some people I know fork out the money for a Trimble and ballistic software while a couple use a G7 range finder because it gives data to whatever you range. I usually have a data card for the conditions I'm in out to around 500 yards and then an app for past that as things can change quick with the environmental conditions and such.

Exbal is to slow for your needs, used it trying to knock out coyotes but the operating plateform is much to slow. You need a mobile device like a smart phone just used as a device loaded with Applied Ballistics. I tag a dozen or so dogs in the Muddy a year in the 800 yard range, its awesome to be able to tag that dog that is sitting there barking at you or the one that has no clue! My best system is a ballistic turret to rapid range and hit inside 600 yards then applied Ballistics and moa dial on dogs over that.

OK I guess at this point then I should point out that I do not have a phone either smart type or otherwise. So far I have been able to manage life without one, praise God.
The Trimble and the G-7 rang finder are out of my price range so those are out.
So starting out at ground zero would someone please recommend either a phone or a hand held pc and the app or program to go with it. I really want to avoid going through trial and error in choosing something.
bigngreen you mentioned Applied Ballistics but I am not up on exactly what you mean by that weather it is an app/program or a general term. Could you explain that for me please.
You mentioned "The Muddy" do you mean Muddy Creek off of Big Sheep creek Road?
Again all help is greatly appreciated. I sure would like to be set up with a ballistic help system and have some experience using it before the next fur taking season begins

Applied ballistics is an app that can be downloaded to a smartphone ($29.99). I've not used it but looked it up for you. No smartphone? Don't worry. You can buy a used phone cheap and use for the app. My wife's old iPhone 4 can be purchased all day long on Craig's list for $40. You'd have to research the app and make sure you know what operating systems it will be compatible with (apple, android) and what the minimum operating system is. Old OSs may not run the software. Also, research whether the app needs a data connection to run. You can download and set it up using wifi. If you have to have a data connection then you'll also need a phone plan. If it doesn't, you can use it anywhere. No phone plan necessary. Download, install and go shooting!

I'm looking into this program too. I'd like to also be able to calculate moa on targets using an app. I know nothing about the program except I can purchase it in the app store.

Good luck.

DualShooter
Thanks for that help!!! Being a computer dummy I am a bit foggy with some of the terms you have given, "Old os's" , "data connection" , "app store". Might you fill in those blanks for me?

A question on my mind is why do I not see anyone using the Sierra Infinity Mobil? I have been using the Infinity 6 at home to make up data cards and I am pleased with it. My shooting has been mostly between 400 and 800 yards so that might make a difference.
Usually if a coyote is very much more than 800 yards I try to get closer if the terrain allows.
My long range misses are very close using data cards so I cant help but think that the slight difference in corrections that real time data will give me over my data cards might tighten my shots up enough to stay on target. I do not yet have a wind meter but am strongly considering the Kestrel 2500. With that and a take along device that I can put in real time data I am hoping will help keep me in that 6" zone required to shut down coyotes quick.

OSs = operating systems

Data connection = need connection to cell service so you can send/receive data when out on a hunt. This might be necessary if calculations are NOT done within the device but on a computer server elsewhere; or if information from your location (gps, weather/barometric pressure) is needed to calculate bullet drop.

App store = where you go to download a mobile device app. Apple or Google (Apple vs Android).

As to your additional comments, That's where I get lost. Still new to long range shooting....but motivated to learn.

bounty hunter 2;110362 You mentioned "The Muddy" do you mean Muddy Creek off of Big Sheep creek Road? [/QUOTE said:
That's the one, I was thing about going up and seeing how things are looking up there but with the weather I don't think a guy would make it very far :D
I think I have an extra droid around here that I was using as a back up that I could make you a deal on, all you'd have to do is down load the apps you want using your Google account and you'd be running.

DualShooter
Thanks for the thread link!!! WOW!!!! There is a lot to absorb there.

bigngreen
I am interested! I am easy to find. When you come back down Big Sheep Creek road headed east and you hit the west side frontage road, the paved road you are looking east and looking across I-15 you are looking at my house the large old white house with red tin roof.
From that point to get to my house you run up to Dell cross the RR tracks and turn right onto Oregon Short Line road. In about 2 miles Oregon Short line end at my house.

You are welcome to stop by anytime your in the area but be prepared for culture shock. We exist on a bit more primitive level than most are used to. I am ever so easily persuaded to drop everything and go shooting so bring your LR rifle.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.