Where is the infamous NIGHTFORCE NX8 tight eyebox?

simone

It's a NF NX8 4-32×50 SFP. I didn't even mounted it on a rifle yet. I have heard complaints about the 8 zoom factor scopes, someone even told to have sold his NX8 because of this. It's funny, my NX8 has a totally acceptable eyebox, surprisingly good at 6x, very good at 16x and still totally usable at 32x. Actually this scope has a much more forgiving eyebox than the SHV 4-14x50 F1 i had. How is that? Awesome scope

How was the edge to edge clarity?
FFP? Was the reticle usable at low power?
Thanks
I don't like FFP scopes with a big magnification range for hunting. A SFP has usable subtensions at at least 2 magnifications, is easier to build (so often it gives better optical performances at similar price range), the reticle is usable at any magnification, etc

Why going with a FFP? Especially if you are dialing elevation, the only upside is that you can hold wind at any magnification using the subtensions but in my opinion the cons are much more than the pros

If they would just have made it a 2-10 or 12 i think it would be good.

It was a quality scope and image is clear but o hated it... like looking through bad binos and your eyes hurt
I have never experienced headache or hurting eyes from looking through a scope.. even 100 dollar ones. Btw the 4×32 is pretty forgiving eyebox wise, I really don't see any significant difference with my khales 2-10×50 in this regard. Also image sharpness is very good. I was able to read a car's license plate at 600 meters with the 32x today.

I've had both the 20 and 32, no longer own either. Off the bench where everything was perfect they were fine but I've moved on to easier to get behind optics in true hunting scenarios. Scopes are pretty subjective as far as what benefits each individual. The NX8 has been great for some guys but wasn't the best fit for myself.

Last edited:
I've both the 20 and 32, no longer own either. Off the bench where everything was perfect they were fine but I've moved on to easier to get behind optics in true hunting scenarios. Scopes are pretty subjective as far as what benefits each individual. The NX8 has been great for some guys but wasn't the best fit for myself.
I'm curious what you switched to?

I'm running a mixed bag currently lol.
Tangent hunters on mid range rigs and mark 5hd 5-25 leupies with the gunwerks reticle and the new revic rs25i on my longer range set ups. I'm really loving the revic if the extra few ounces do not mess up the goals of the particular build.

10 power g7 and shv nightforce for light weight rigs for up to medium distance

NX8 2.5-20x is junk. Glass isn't as nice as the 4-32x version. Impossible to see the F1 FFP reticle unless you crank the magnification to 8-10x so what's the use?

My F1 MIL-XT 4-32x is fantastic but not quite as nice as my Vortex Razor Gen 3 6-36x without the weight. I have 2 more brand new NX8s still backordered I bought on sale earlier December. I didn't notice tight eyebox.

I don't notice tight eyebox either in my new Arken EP5s either but they seem to definitely be using much better glass compared to the EP5s they sold before. Both if these new ones are clear all the way to their maximum magnification and chromatic aberration about tied with my Tract Toric ELR on high magnification.

I've had both the 20 and 32, no longer own either. Off the bench where everything was perfect they were fine but I've moved on to easier to get behind optics in true hunting scenarios. Scopes are pretty subjective as far as what benefits each individual. The NX8 has been great for some guys but wasn't the best fit for myself.
In which way it was difficult for you to get behind the 4-32? It's really difficult for me to understand how this can be a problem. I mean, it is a precision rifle, right? Used for medium to long range, right? How can you have issues getting behind a scope with totally usable eyebox and still being able to achieve accuracy? If you can't get a decently consistent cheek weld to get behind a scope, how can you shoot accurately?