Nightforce NX8

stevers75

So I've been in the market for a new scope. Objective is to replace the Huskemaw 5-20 that I'm currently using with some better glass. During Black Friday, I ordered a Nightforce NX8 4-32x50 mostly off of impulse. I did my research, yet I've never handled one in person, but while I wait for my scope to arrive I wanted to know what some of you out there think of this scope. I am far from advanced in the world of long range shooting. I'm comfortable shooting out to 1000 yards. I'm looking for something that can take abuse while elk hunting in Idaho. I was originally going to purchase an NXS 5.5-22 but decided to try the NX8 when I heard the glass is a bit better and they are a bit lighter. I can always return the scope but I was hoping to get some opinions.

I haven't noticed any tunnel effect. It's lighter than an NXS. More zoom. Better glass. Shorter. I use them for hunting. Biggest concern was FFP. At 4-5 power, the green or red illuminated reticle is plenty. I am going to sell my Swarovski X5 5-25 because it's getting replaced with NX8 I picked up today as my second one. 56mm is just a little big for my needs on a hunting rifle. NF is known for being tough and reliable. I can't tell the difference between the NX8 and HD Leupold glass. I know two other that have them. One guy said that at 32 power it seemed blury. Make sure you set it on max focus and push the scope as far forward as you can. Eye relief shortens with more zoom. I learned that the hard way with 338 NMI.

These are my first FFP scopes and I still have a couple SFP. I hold for wind rather than dial. If you shoot an animal on high power it's very doubtful you will get back on it. You'll have to back out the focus quick. This is a situation I like FFP.

I have an nx8 4-32x50 milC, I like a lot about it, all the tangible, turrets, illumination, size, weight, glass is very clear in center, there is distortion on edges, the parallax needs be adjusted a lot when focusing on multiple ranges. Eyebox is a bit sensitive and everything above 26x gets pretty dark and blurry. All in all, it's still sitting on my 300 norma improved, and I've made some long shots with it. I like the glass, clarity, eyebox, fov, and dof of my xtr3 better. However the NF is slimmer, lighter, illuminated, and undoubtedly tougher. My X5I 3.5-18X50 has better glass than either these two, I just wish it had a better reticle and was FFP.

Hoping for a SFP NX8 for 2020.
I was told by someone at nightforce that the SFP model is in the works, but they are having a tough time keeping up with demand on the FFP models which is pushing back the SFP scopes. He said by the end of the first quarter in 2020 they should be available for purchase.

I'm also pondering this. I love my nightforce but was dead set on a March 2.5-25 for my new lightweight build.
But now I'm thinking nx8. It's a few ounces heavier and a bit less mag but I love nihhtforce.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.