When do you guys start using scent control products?

webs

Before a hunt when do all of you guys start using scent control products like body wash, shampoo and deodorant?

i dont use them at all and i dont call or rattle on any of the stuff

e0726900.jpg

2123bfd2.jpg

3312df88.jpg

26192080.jpg

JUST SOME of the rewards

Before a hunt when do all of you guys start using scent control products like body wash, shampoo and deodorant?

Not to sound like sour grapes but I don't use any of the million or so products for the well
equipped sportsman of today !

Like other guys, when I started trying cover scents and attractants there weren't that many
and most guys were not doing anything but hunting and watching the wind.

While bow hunting I have had game walk directly up wind towards me with no scent protection
at all and then have game spook for no apparent reason while using the latest thing in scent
control.

I also tried using native scents on my clothes (Like storing my camo in a bag with pine needles,
Oak leaves, ceder boughs and what ever else I would be hunting in. (Except poison Ivy).

My best friend and hunting buddy smoked and had a habit of clearing his throat all the time and
he was very successful for over 40 years of hunting and did not use anything to mask his sent,
he just hunted with the wind in mine all the time.

Having bow hunted before any of the sent block or other mask were available after trying them
i found no real difference in the success using them.

Stealth and lack of movement was/is the real key to success and having great respect for the
games ability to ferret out anything that is different.

Most game have noses many times better than our own and rely greatly on it, In fact they
make there living with there nose, and fooling them with something that is not natural is
very difficult.

I believe that some of the things that are available today only give a person a false feeling of
invisibility and actually hurt your chances of success.

Native Americans did not have Ozone eleminators, Infrared sprays, Etc , They used what was
available and natural, Plus a good understanding of the games strong points and week points
and made there living applying there skill and knowledge.

I quit relying on gimmicks a long time ago and got back to hunting and have never looked back.

Man has a natural instinck to hunt and if he developed it he will be successful Most of the time
and when he's not , he has enjoyed the hunt.

I enjoy out smarting the game and pass up shots many times because I have won and don't
need to kill animal just to prove it.

Good hunting.

J E CUSTOM

It is a total waste of money. Period.
If the wind is right, the wind is right. The best investment that you can make is a wind feather. I have one on every single longbow and rifle that I own.
Most folks don't know how animals smell. If one was to study that science, you would conclude that scents are not necessary. But, each to their own.

Randy

Watch the wind is the best advice. Only scent control I use is for calling coyotes. Then I spray down the caller just in case. If the wind shifts on you, your busted no matter how much scent control you use. That being said, there have been a couple of times in Elk camp when I was wishing my hunting pardners were using some type of scent control. Course they were probably thinking the same about me.

I wouldn't say they are worthless - but you also don't have to spend a lot of money. I've proven the worth of scent control over years of bow hunting (not quite so worried during rifle season). I mostly bowhunted elk, and just used elk urine (beautiful smelling stuff) :) Pretty cheap for a bottle. I wouldn't slather it all over like aftershave - but put it on my hat, some on the clothes and/or little scent things like on quiver etc.

I also used the unscented soaps (just a day or so prior) and tried to keep hunting clothes in a bag with some pine branches and stuff - definitely didn't sleep or cook in them. I've done it both ways - makes a huge difference. Yes, you can try to keep the wind in your face, but good luck - out west it swirls so much. I've had elk down wind and also 10 feet from me - and never scented me - just using elk urine, avoid scented soaps and camp/human smells on my clothes. I have a friend that would change his whole diet 30 days prior to avoid scent in his sweat - I'm not that nuts about it.

I just know I've been able to watch the elk, with and without it, and not just guess why they did or didn't bust me. The scent control (my cheap version) made a night and day difference. To each his own though...

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.