When do you chamber a round while hunting?

When do you chamber a round while hunting?

• A. No round in the chamber until you are ready to take a shot.

Votes: 111 27.9%
  • B. Round chambered, safety on while hunting.

Votes: 275 69.1%
  • C. Round chambered firing pin disengaged. If you hold the trigger down while chambering a round

Votes: 12 3.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nope, your coming to rest on it with the spring pressure sitting on it. All you need is the right hit and it's gone.

When my bro in law showed me how to do this I thought he was ******* crazy...when we came back from hunting that day, I sat there and banged the buttstock on the ground, hard, trying to get the round to fire and it wouldnt. You are acting like it is a small bump away from firing and that is just ******** - its not true.

It ISN'T among, my Family/ Friend's, either !
When walking fast or, hiking rough Mtn Game trails or, sitting Glassing,.. NO cartridge in Chamber ! When STALKING or, walking slowly, in Timber, I'll Chamber a Cartridge with, Safety,.. ON !
NO option "C",.. EVER !
How would you know if your family and friends used C? I had been hunting with my bro in law for 2 years and always assumed he had one in the chamber and the safety on like I did.

Your an accident waiting to happen, the ONLY reason you haven't had a round go is the firing pin is sliding down the ramp and it's just enough to keep you from a full strike.
Imagine the part that is negligible as in operator error, i.e. you drop it because of 9999 possible reasons, it lands on solid Idaho rock. The inertia causes the pin to force forward, the gun goes off.
Resize a case, load a live primer. Slam gun with good force off something rock hard a time or three. Bet ya don't do it with live ammo anymore. It should spook the heck out of ya ;)

I'm not acting like it would be a small hit, it would need a decent hit but you've removed ALL safeties.
Then why can't I get it to fire when i am beating the hell out of it? I was super skeptical, so I have done everything I can to make my bro in law look like an idiot and I can't...it works. I am not advocating anybody use C, but I can't get an AD using c and I have tried.

Some of you Guys are just plain, LUCKY with, having HARD Primers and a lot of HEADSPACE,.. "saving" your aszzes from, AD's !! LOL !
All joking aside,.. "WHY" and "what", are you gaining ????
@ Figjam, you may have, a STRONG FP Spring that, is keeping the FP "held" or, held "back". I just know that, cock on opening Rifles, "could" be dangerous when FP is let "down" on a LIVE Primer ( 5 or more knowledgeable, Guys, AGREE with, THIS ) and the wrong amount of, INERTIA "could" set the Cart, off !

Last edited:
Then why can't I get it to fire when i am beating the hell out of it? I was super skeptical, so I have done everything I can to make my bro in law look like an idiot and I can't...it works. I am not advocating anybody use C, but I can't get an AD using c and I have tried.
The force it might take is like from a hard fall. Like the gun falling from waiste or higher. The kind of force that makes ya want to check the scopes zero. Not all guns are in perfect working order, just imagine how many Rem actions are still out there that haven't been updated yet

Have a Mauser 98 in hand just measured the cocking piece...cocked .365 ...fired .000...now where did the .365 go? it's inside the bolt and the tip of the pin is protruding from the bolt face..when you have something holding the firing pin back from full extension or compression you are loading the spring...

A retracting firing pin would allow the primer to flow into the firing pin hole tying up the bolt, reason why you hear of bolts needing work..I had to have a smith put a bushing in my bolt to reduce the size of the firing pin hole... reason to why there is a dimple int he primer, because the pin is there otherwise the primer would be flat.

Tell you what call Remington/Winchester/Browning etc..or a liability Layer and please hold the phone away from your ear when they respond...

I'm surprised how little some don't know how a rifle action works.
When a gunsmith checks firing pin protrution you turn the shroud till it drops the cocking piece to the fired possition and you measure how far the pin protrudes from the bolt face in the fired possition. Your firing pin is sticking out of the bolt face in the fired position, PERIOD!!!!

Some of you Guys are just plain, LUCKY with, having HARD Primers and a lot of HEADSPACE,.. "saving" your aszzes from, AD's !! LOL !
All joking aside,.. "WHY" and "what", are you gaining ????
The only AD's I have seen were from guys that thought the safety was on and it wasn't - so in my experience, disengaging the firing pin has been safer than one in the pipe and a safety on. It is also faster and quieter than chambering a round when the time comes to pull the trigger.

Status
Not open for further replies.