What's your favorite hunting knife?

Have some of them. Dont ask my why, but I just love to sharpen knives, I have a couple of sharpening stones and love spending some time with my knives getting them real sharp. I have a knife that was a present my grandfather brother gave me, real old thing, but nice and still good enough. I have it stored in my gun case, and dont use it any more, I am keeping it as a souvenir. I use a regular hunting knife with fixed blade, dont remember the brand, but it is light and very sharp.
Looking forward to get this one: Gerber LMF II Survival Knife Coyote Brown 22-01400

they are like rifles you start with one and eventually you have more. cutco,gerber , schrade and bucke

I have used a Kershaw folding drop point lockback since the mid-80's, but bought a Outdoor Edge Swingblade over the summer. Used it on an elk and deer this year and love it.

An Ol Schrade with a simulated bone handle bought for me the year my first daughter was born. 1982, **** thing has gutted a lotta elk n deer and one big ol bull moose. Goood memories

I've added a few since then, a Simonich custom , and two Dave Tobel customs, oh and a Buck RMEF. All great knives.

Last edited:
****All time favorite is a Custom made from a family friend******As far as brands go, heres my choices:
1. Buck
2. Gerber
3. Knives of Alaska
4. Leatherman Charge(I know its not a ''hunting knife'' but it works so well on medium size game or any game in a pinch,that its always with me)
5. Kershaw
6. OldTimer/Schrade

Last edited:
i have used a small old timer 3 blade folder and a buck skinner i think its 103 for the past several years they work great before the skinner i just used the old timer probably for 10 years now

Here are a few more I made..

These two are the first knives I've made for myself.
1/8" D2 and Maple
cwskinner2.jpg

This one I made for a friend of mine. It is currently in Iraq serving along side with him on his 3rd deployment.
3/16" D2
Canvas Micarta
RussFinished.jpg

Spangler_070709-ww.jpg

i would say this is my favorite to date.

i'm with you misfire. i make my own also.

you do some really nice work. reminds of of a dozier in some ways. they look very ergonomic. i bet they're good in the hand in just about any grip.

have you tried any of the new CPM D2? you'll love it, better performance, and easier to work with

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.