What's your favorite hunting knife?

Discussion in 'The Basics, Starting Out' started by quietmike, Nov 25, 2009.

Help Support Long Range Hunting by donating:

1. jmden

jmden Well-Known Member

Buck Alpha Hunter: BUCK

Gerber Magnum LST: GerberGear > Product Details > Magnum L.S.T.® for when I'm packing as light as possible.

What I like about both of these knives is how secure and comfortable a grip you have on them. They don't slip out of your bloody, etc., hands.

The Alpha Hunter is an especially tough knife with a full and very thick tang that keeps it's width nearly to the tip.

2. Gary Kaney

Gary Kaney Well-Known Member

Case Xchanger I've carried that knife for 25 years. It's a folder with 4 blades. A drop piont, fillet, saw, and a boning blade. All i use is the drop piont and the saw blade. The saw blade has never been sharpened. I don't even know if this knife is even made anymore.

3. texan79

texan79 Well-Known Member

Lot of Buck fans here. Ive owned several, and you couldnt give me another one. They have never held and edge for me. I'm currently using Benchmade and am pretty happy.

4. Two 10's

Two 10's Well-Known Member

HAVALON is the only way to go. get into the 21st century and never worry about a sharpe knife again. Replaceble surgically sharp blades that cost 6$ a dozen and 1 has lasted thru 7 hogs so far. Call me for $35 to $60 its the best money you will ever spend on a knife. 713-817-0694, Tod [email protected]

5. fozzy

fozzy Active Member

I just saw the Havalon Piranta scalpel knives that weigh 1.5 ounces. Never need to sharpen again, just might be the cats meow?

6. retiredcpo

retiredcpo Well-Known Member

Picked up a havalon awhile back
    looked real interesting
    Used it on my sons bear
    they are awsome.
    Still need a heavy blade knife with you
    but no need for any sharping tools
    so you can lighten your load alot which helps.
    retiredcpo

7. Two 10's

Two 10's Well-Known Member

I'll do you right on a Havalon and pay the shipping. Guarantee them for life and give you your money back if you don't like them. Have the new Fillet knife and the aluminum handle with the scrimshaw insert also. [email protected]
    They come with a dozen extra blades and its $5.95 for the holster that holds blades and knife w/belt loop. Keep your busness with an LRH bud.

8. kweidner

kweidner Well-Known Member

The one that's in my pocket at the time.......seriously though i use Forschner steel. Had a deckhand teach me about these 20yrs ago. I started out with a fillet knife by victronox with this steel and now have everything from boning knives to butcher knives to you name it. Anything with this steel is the first i pick up when cleaning game.........if i happen to be at home. Otherwise it resolves to whatever is in my pocket at the time.

9. patekatek

patekatek Member

My favorite, by far, has been a Cold Steel Twist Master (large). This carbon V steel takes and edge you can shave with and keeps it too. Last year we used this knife to field dress 6 white tails and then used it to skin two of them before I touched up the edge with a steel. The only down side is that I have to make sure I wipe it clean or it does get stains. Of course, I've been negligent a bit and it's getting a bit ugly but I sure like using it.

10. novaman64

novaman64 Well-Known Member

I just picked up a Knives of Alaska "Alpha Wolf" (hunting/skinning knife), its D2 steel, I like the look and feel so far. Need to go try it out on a animal now. :)