What's your favorite hunting knife?

I've gone to boneing everything out where it lands the last few years. Kinda wish it had a little better steel in it but this little devil sure makes short work of a critter.
09outandabout%20079.jpg

I have had buck gerber sherade winchester and ever other store brand that U can think of. Made my own out of file's now that is a chore. when it gets right down to it is ALL about the steel. I like hi carbon I have been absession with the edge for years I got one of them lanskey sharping sys. back in the 80's get one if you want a shrp knife! I am on my 3rd one now I like buck and sherade the best sofar Who would ever thought longrange would be a knife LOL

Buck 119. Used and abused for 30yrs. Original tip too sharp, was broken off in the field. Filed to a new tip and been good ever since. I prefer the fixed blade, it can't fail or accidentally fold back on you. This knife will last a lifetime.

Steve

The last few years I have been packing a Buck caping knife. Real handy size and I keep it deadly sharp. I leave the heavier ones behind these days. I'd like to make a similar copy of the caping knife one day with a little bit bigger gut hook then it would be perfect.

I used to use a Buck 110 and I liked it. This year I used a Cold Steel Master Hunter and I have to say I have a new favorite knife. I gut, skinned and butchered my deer with it this year.

Corey

For many years I carried a Buck 110. It got lost and I started carrying various other knives including a CRKT M16 which worked as well as anything. The very worst knife I have ever used is a Puma White Hunter.

I recently bought a Kershaw Storm II but do not like it because it is too slim and does not fill your hand properly. It is also heavier than it needs to be.

Once I have the animal down and field dressed, these are the knives I use. They are cheap soft steel "Green River Trade" knives but sharpen easily and do the different jobs well.

Greenriver.jpg

Last edited:
I have a box filled with knives but lately I've narrowed it down to 3 I presently use for hunting. There are a lot of great knives out there which is almost as fun as guns. I have found that you get what you pay for in knives just like anything else. It's all about the steel and how it's heat treated. I have a custom knife with an ATS34 blade by Juda that I skinned and boned two antelope this year without loosing any edge sharpness. I also have a Cold Steel Woodsman which has an excellent edge and is a great all around hunting/butchering knife. So far I've only used it for butchering. It keeps an extremely sharp edge. The Buck mini Alpha Hunter I have as a back up and is a great knife to carry because of it's size. I never know it's on my belt. The ATS34 blade on this Buck keeps a good edge. I plan to use my new Bark River Gamesmen next year which I already know I'm getting for Christmas. Bark River uses a convex blade so I've already had to research how to sharpen that blade design. It doesn't seem very difficult at all. The A2 steel and heat treatment they use has a great reputation. I don't anticipate having to sharpen it that often.
PC010139.jpg

Left to right: Buck mini Alfa Hunter, Custom Juda, Cold Steel Woodsman

Gordon
Niceville, FL

I bought an ANZA knife from Charlie Davis about 15 years ago, it caught my eye because it was made from a file, like my grandfather made.

My first Grandson is due in two weeks, it'll be his first knife.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts