What's your favorite bullet weight, in .224?

Hi,

I have been using 50 gr. Nosler Ballistic Tips almost exclusively in my Weatherby Vanguard varmint special, with excellent results. Also the 50 gr Ballistic Silvertip, But, lately I came across a bunch of Hornady 53 gr. V-Max, and must say, they are VERY awesome as well.... Preliminary testing is good. And I believe with a little tweaking they will shoot every bit as well, if not better than the NBT.... Although, if i can shoot .221" ish groups at 100 yards with either, how much better can it get?

The thing is, I got the 53 gr. V-Max's for alot cheaper then the Nosler, and I figure the little extra weight can't hurt when going for 'yotes.....

I like the hornady 68gr hpbt out to 300 and hornady 75 hpbt out to 600. I've been using both in my bushmaster ar for about two years. The 75gr are seated out so far they won't fit in the mag.

I think it's more about what my gun(s) likes? My AR is a 1-8 twist, and likes 55gr. Nosler BT, and V-Max's. Funny thing is, my Remington 700 heavy barrel 22-250 1 holes 55 grain Vmax's too, and the twist is no where near as fast? I like 1 hole bullets, no matter what the weight!!:Dgun)

I ran 55gr nosler b-tips the most, shot very well and performed great on the coyotes I shot with it.

I have been researching a good round for hunting hog, whitetail deer, antelope and black bear, coyote etc... What I have found is that Winchester has come out with a .223 round for hunting. Winchester RazorBack 64gr with 3020 fps at the barrel and 750 vol.@ 200yds. Rifle requires a 1-9 or faster twist. Has anyone out there ever used this round yet and if so what kind of results have you had with it. what kind of damage did it do to the meat?

I've got he REM 700 xcr compact with a 1&9 twist. Not sure about the 64 gr razor.back but I finally got.5 moa from the 62 gr tsx from Barnes. I plan on deer hunting with it under 100 yard ranges. As far as meat damage, shoot your game in the right spot or if you want hamburger take out the front shoulder ;)

53 gr bergers over h335 is amazing
55 gr nosler bt in a 250 ct. Varmit pack is hard to pass up.
65 gr sierra was my fall back bullet if I couldn't get the Barnes to shoot.

I've come to like heavier bullets in my .223 and .22-250...mostly a 55gr. Hornady V-Max. :) I have yet to reload anything heavier. All I hunt with these calibers are groundhogs and coyotes.

What's your favorite bullet weight for varmints, in a .224?

Thank you, Bowhunter57

Hi Bowhunter57....i find in my .223 that 55 grs is a little heavy. I shoot 50 and 52 gr bullets for coyotes but different rifles can shoot various bullets differently. Job wise the 50 and 52 grainers make quick kills (-:

I'll be an odd ball and say I like the 40gr vmax. I push em outta my 22-250 at 4250fps and it's a real killer on yotes and leaves the fur in great shape. I used to shoot 52gr Amax, but switched to the lighter, faster bullets for this new rifle. I wanted more speed for the runners at 200yds.

I just got a 220 swift and have big plans to shoot 55gr vmax outta it for windy days and wolves.

In the AR's 1-9 twist gun; hands down the Sierra 65gr GK SPBT

.220 Swift 55gr Nosler BT

.224 Wby Mag.. Barnes 50gr HP VLC... no longer available which is a-shame, saw it coming and stocked up when I had the chance.

.222 Rem Mag.. 1-8 twist 80gr Berger VLD LR rifle with 30" barrel.

Cheers

I don't have a favorite bullet weight. I shoot them all. I do have a favorite barrel twist though. I love the 1:8 twist. It will let me shoot any bullet that will fit in my magazine.

In fact if lighting struck the wrong place twice and I go to make the rules. No 22 centerfire rifle would have a twist slower than 1:8. 40 grain varmint grenades work just fine and I still get sub minute accuracy. 75 grain BTHP's make sub minute groups way out there past 600 yards. Everything in between shoots really good too.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.