ballistic reticle or dial? illuminated? whats your favorite reticle for coyote ?

A Christmas tree reticle for me and absolutely a FFP scope so the reticle ballistics stay accurate while zooming in and out and your windage holds are adjusted/calculated for the changing ranges. Nice to have a quick windage reference. Varmints are almost always moving unlike deer, elk, rabbits, etc. Hogs, coyotes, bobcats, etc. just don't stop moving very long so "usually" no time to look at a ballistic calculator or a drop card and dial. Most important for me is you don't want your holdovers to change as you zoom like a SFP scope does and complicate your holdover calculations even more.

I'm with ya minus the Christmas tree. FFP Nightorce Atacr 4-16x42 Mil R reticle. On 4 power it's almost a duplex. It's nice having mil marks for runners and longer shots.

Well its official, I just missed one, lol. So it really doesn't matter what reticle you have if its not on the dog when the trigger breaks!
I figured I would make a quick set on the way home from work at the dairy farm, I had 40 minuets of day left. 10 to walk in, 30 to call, sounds easy enough. So i opened the first gate and drove in about 600 yards to the second gate where I was going to park. I was just about to put the truck in park and 75 yards in front of me 2 coyotes poked around the corner to see what the noise was. we had a stare down for a few seconds and off they went. i figured what the heck, I know about where they are headed so I grabbed the rifle, shooting sticks and calls and headed UP the hill (this is key). I went about 100 yards through a drainage poked out to see the female (smaller one) standing on top of a dirt pile for a vantage point about 200 yards out. I figured gigs up when she spotted me and ran off, I was about to leave when the male (larger one by a lot ) ran up on top of the same pile, he hadn't spotted me following. I had 15' to go in front of me was a dirt pile with a dead stick poking out that I used for a shooting stick, but I had to stand while using it. Well remember that UPHILL part? Yea heart was pounding, breathing heavy, the crosshairs were not settling vey fast (this all happened in moments from the truck). I knew he wasn't gonna stay there long so I tried to settle the best I could and sent one. The one thing you learn when shooting high power across the course competition, is how to call your shots. I can tell you the crosshairs were exactly an inch below his brisket when the trigger broke lol. Oh well, he lives another day.

The first time I saw a Christmas tree reticle I thought it was way to busy, I think most people do. Now I would not be without one in FFP. They are a huge benefit in dynamic shooting, and if you happen to see your bullet splash, you can quickly move your hold for a follow up shot. The shooter needs to learn how to use the features in their reticle to make full use of them though.

Well its official, I just missed one, lol. So it really doesn't matter what reticle you have if its not on the dog when the trigger breaks!
I figured I would make a quick set on the way home from work at the dairy farm, I had 40 minuets of day left. 10 to walk in, 30 to call, sounds easy enough. So i opened the first gate and drove in about 600 yards to the second gate where I was going to park. I was just about to put the truck in park and 75 yards in front of me 2 coyotes poked around the corner to see what the noise was. we had a stare down for a few seconds and off they went. i figured what the heck, I know about where they are headed so I grabbed the rifle, shooting sticks and calls and headed UP the hill (this is key). I went about 100 yards through a drainage poked out to see the female (smaller one) standing on top of a dirt pile for a vantage point about 200 yards out. I figured gigs up when she spotted me and ran off, I was about to leave when the male (larger one by a lot ) ran up on top of the same pile, he hadn't spotted me following. I had 15' to go in front of me was a dirt pile with a dead stick poking out that I used for a shooting stick, but I had to stand while using it. Well remember that UPHILL part? Yea heart was pounding, breathing heavy, the crosshairs were not settling vey fast (this all happened in moments from the truck). I knew he wasn't gonna stay there long so I tried to settle the best I could and sent one. The one thing you learn when shooting high power across the course competition, is how to call your shots. I can tell you the crosshairs were exactly an inch below his brisket when the trigger broke lol. Oh well, he lives another day.
I sympathize. I have learned from ECRH to never use a dead tree as a rest. It just never works out.

I'd love to blame it on the dead tree, but it was more about me puffin and panting after the quick uphill.

I missed a standing shot on a critter yesterday because I didn't spread my feet out like I know I should do to make my body into a tripod. Also, I didn't do the breathing as I know I should. Had time to do it right, but got lazy or got in a hurry for no good reason, so I missed. It is is that extra second you take to get steady and do it right that is the difference between a hit and a miss.

How many times do we have to learn the same lesson?