223 coyote loads?? Whats your best load??

wolfmanjrw

Just ordered a Rock River Advanced Tachtical Hunter with 18" heavy barrel. I am probably not going to see this gun for 6 months. What 223 loads are you having the best accuracy and killing power on coyotes out to say 300 yards? I'm hunting in PA and with that terrain probably won't have the opportunity to need to shoot much further. I would like to know what brass, bullet, primer, and number grains of what powder you've had the best success with. As scarce as reloading supplies are right now, I'll probably need that 6 months to gather up what I need to load what you guys reccomend!!! Thanks for your help.

A good load might be 24.5 of H335 in win cases or R&P cases, CCI small rifle,
Nosler 55gr, 55 gr Amax bullet.

Since this forum changed to "10-1000" yards I will say that my favorite 223 coyote load out to 300ish yards is 27 grains of benchmark with a 40 grain Sierra blitz. I shoot a Ruger m77 with thousands of rounds down the pipe and it still shoots a thumb nail sized group.
I have never had a coyote get away,,,,yet and it is very fur friendly and flat shooting.

Thanks guys. Keep the feedback coming. In answer, my gun is coming with an 18" heavy stainless barrel with 1 in 8 twist. I've been leaning towards 50 or 55 grain Vmax and Nosler Ballistic tip of some sort. Some say that heavier bullet performs really well with that barrel. You are right though, 40 gr would give me a faster, flatter shooting load. But that's why I'm asking for advise. Thans again and keep it coming.

A little off topic but ... I thought semi-automatic rifles were illegal for hunting in PA. Is there an exception for coyote or have the regs changed. Just curious because I'd love to shoot groundhogs in PA with my AR.

I run an AR with a Lilja 18" 1-8" twist barrel for coyotes.

My best load to date is:
55 Grain Nosler Ballistic Tip
24.0 grains of VV N133
Rem 7.5 BR primers

3080 fps and .5 minute accuracy at 100.

I didn't have any arguments from the coyotes last year as to it's effectiveness, but I was surprised how many exited.

I don't think he get's on here a lot, but I have to thank Venatic for turning me on to N133. It was the answer to a lot of problems I was having.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.