What high BC 223 coyote load for 500 yards?

Assuming you have the twist rate to make them fly strait, give a look at the 75 grain Swift Scirocco II. I have heard this bullet is quite effective when pushed hard.

The 53 gr vmax is a fantastic 500 yd bullet for coyotes, as long as you put it in the right place!!! Longest shot so far is 545 yds and the yote was DRT

I've shot many coyotes with the 223/53 V-Max. The majority under 200 yards. However, I killed a couple at 475 and 530. The problem with LR and the 223/5,56 beyond 500 is the need for a fast twist barrel and heavy bullets. I've used 69 SMK and 75gr A-Max out to 600 yds in competition. The A-Max works great. BUT, reading the wind is the key factor.

I now hunt with a 243 Ack Imp, with 85gr SMK and have made a number of kills in extremely windy conditions with great success. My best so far is 647 yds on a fox.

When I hunt locally in San Diego for deer I hunt with my 7-08 and carry both 120 V-Max and 154gr Hornardy SST. Killed a coyote at 815 yds with the SST and blew the living crap out of it. Impressive to say the least. Most shots on dogs has been under 400 yds using the 120s.

To each his own. With the 243AI/7-08 there is less margin for error.

Gonzo

I as well have a 223 20", I am running a 1:7 twist. My gun loves the 75 AMAX with 24.5 Gr of H4895, Lapua case, and federal match primers. I got mine to shoot 1/4 MOA and still be able to fit in the magazine. Load up some rounds at that charge and mess with seating depth, some of my groups were close to 1" with same charge and different seating depths.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.