What's your elk rifle?

1) Weatherby vanguard stainless sub moa in 30-06. laminate thumbhole stock bedded and timney trigger. soon to be topped with a nightforce shv 4-14x56. 175 berger. clear cuts and such.

2) Rem 700 in 350 rem mag. bedded. 225 Woodleigh round nose at 2610fps. leupold 2.5x20 ultralight. dark timber or REALLY long hikes.

3) Rem 700 in 338-300wsm. 26-27" 1:10 rock creek barrel, Hollands qd muzzle break and recoil lug, jewell trigger, gretan striker assembly, wyatts extended mag box, McMillan adjustable htg, zeiss conquest 3-9x50. still being put together by Kirby Allen. wanted a manageable trajectory, a big impact and long barrel life. kind of the better attributes of the 2 rifles above. pretty excited for the day I get my hands on it.

Picked up my Rem 700 in 7mag from the gunsmith last week after installing a new HS Precision stock and barrel. Had Frerking Custom Works in Nebraska true and blueprint the action, tune and work the trigger, and cerakote the action and barrel. Replaced the Leupold VX-II 3-9x40 with an SWFA 5-20x50 in MRAD with illuminated reticle. Headed to the range in a few minutest o break in the barrel and zero the new scope. Off to Wyoming on Saturday for mule deer and back in October for elk.

This rifle is my first venture into anything custom in a rifle. Started reloading a few years ago but deployments and moving have resulted in me not reloading a single round in the last two years. Recently moved into a new house and finally have my reloading bench set up again but probably wont have time to develop anything before the mule deer trip so will find out today/this week whether the rifle like factory Berger 168 VLDs, Barnes 160 TSX, or Winchester 150 PowerMax.

Almost pulled the trigger on a couple different 338 WINs from the classifieds this summer but no funds this year with the custom job on the 7mag.

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    45 KB · Views: 111
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    40.8 KB · Views: 76
My favorite elk rifle is my custom 300 Norma mag improved. I think I'm going to give my new rifle a try this year it's a 408 shortened to the same dimensions of the 300 Norma improved and necked down to 30 cal. Shoots the 215 Berger 3580.

The last rifle I used was a borrowed .30-30. The last elk was shot with a pistol.
.44 magnum 7 1/2 barreled Super Blackhawk. .265 grain, Hornady bullet over 22.1 grains of H110. One shot kills, drops them like a rock from 90 feet.

I have found they both punch though, just need to walk up to them and shoot them close, or easier, let them walk up to me.

My Grand Uncle used his .44-40 Colt revolver for elk hunting. They did not walk away from him, and none have walked more than a few feet from me.
Used a .338 Winchester for my first one, pushing a 250 grain bullet. Decided less was more over the years. :rolleyes:
Became too boring to shoot them from the next county.

The last rifle I used was a borrowed .30-30. The last elk was shot with a pistol.
.44 magnum 7 1/2 barreled Super Blackhawk. .265 grain, Hornady bullet over 22.1 grains of H110. One shot kills, drops them like a rock from 90 feet.

I have found they both punch though, just need to walk up to them and shoot them close, or easier, let them walk up to me.

My Grand Uncle used his .44-40 Colt revolver for elk hunting. They did not walk away from him, and none have walked more than a few feet from me.
Used a .338 Winchester for my first one, pushing a 250 grain bullet. Decided less was more over the years. :rolleyes:
Became too boring to shoot them from the next county.

You do realize this is a long range hunting site?

Just decided to post my answer is all. Kind of tongue in cheek, but I decided to put some challenge into my hunting after several years.
Once I became proficient enough to hit anything I could see, I decided the challenge was not there. So I went the other way.

Does not mean I did not enjoy it, does not mean I don't teach it. I do both, but mostly teaching now.
Partly I saw some truly outrageous comments and needed to poke a bit of fun.
My feeling however, is only take the responsible shot. What makes it responsible depends greatly on the shooter however.
My favorite long range shots, those taken by Harry Pope and the Revolutionary and Civil War snipers. Civil war snipers took shots out to over 1/2 mile, not so far by today's standard but in 1863 a very long shot.
I have taken deer and elk both at ridiculous distances, but decided to go the other way.
I still like to hunt for things at long to extremely long distances, sorry if you did not care for the poking fun part of life. :)

338/300, defiance action, 27 inch Broughton 5c barrel, baker break, Vortex razor-HD 5-20 x50, B&C stock shooting sierra SMK 300 grain at 2800 FPS.
Reliable 3 inch groups out to 1200 yards.

338/300, defiance action, 27 inch Broughton 5c barrel, baker break, Vortex razor-HD 5-20 x50, B&C stock shooting sierra SMK 300 grain at 2800 FPS.
Reliable 3 inch groups out to 1200 yards.

I would love to see a picture of this work of art. Like those defiance actions!!!

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.