What's your elk rifle?

This year I'm shooting a 308 launching a 215 Berger 2460 fps with a 10x SWFA SS optic, I have 338's and 300 mags available but the performance of my little 308 which is proven to 1450 yards just really tickled my fancy this year, we'll see what an elk thinks of it at 800+ gun)
Next year I'm feeling may be a Lapua Improved kind of year :D

As always want to hear details and see the pics. :D

I know this is a long distance forum, but I'm stunned by the few responses from members using traditional cartridges which have brought down more elk in the last century than any one of could ever conceive. 30-06 or .308. I personally own both as well as a 300 win mag, but my go to gun is the .308 with a 160+ grain bullet. I know the 308 doesn't necessarily buck wind like the 7mm, and it doesn't have the velocity of many standard and mag cartridges, but it's inexpensive to shoot a lot of bullets through it and has great barrel life which allows the owner to become very proficient with what his/her Rifle will do in a variety of conditions. It doesn't kick so hard that a brake is needed and one definitely isn't going to be flinching using a 308, so no pulled shiots... ever. There's a ton of great bullet choices, and the 308 flat out kills elk to about 600 yards with proper bullet placement.

I'm definitely not neigh-saying others choices here, cause I've seen a lot of great rifle choices lined out in the preceding 10 or so pages, it's just that it's almost as if other users are embarrassed to post if they don't have the newest greatest sniper cannon to launch pills with.

Well I'll say it...

Tikka T3 Tactical .308
Vortex Viper PST FFP 6.5-24x50
Harris swivel bipod
Berger 168gr VLD @ 2575.

I agree Boscobuys! The 308 is a versatile cartridge with very little recoil and respectable performance to 600+ at elk density altitudes. I love to shoot it every chance I get! I have a cousin to your Tikka!

as always want to hear details and see the pics. :d

Early pic of the rifle, an old Winchester pre 64 target rifle, now it's set up with a bipod and the gear.

023.jpg

Truing ballistic app at 1027 yards, 2.6 in three shot group shot of the bipod.

041 (2).jpg

RIFLE-> .300 Win. mag. Browning Stainless Stalker A-Bolt W/BOSS brake - black mil spec. Teflon finish, NECO Fire Lapped barrel

SCOPE-> 1996 Burris Black Diamond (30 mm tube) W. Mil Dot reticle (Unfortunately a 2nd focal plane reticle and MOA turrets)

STOCK UPGRADES-> Browning plastic stock OR Browning laminated thumbhole stock, both stocks upgraded with aluminum pillar bedding and Bisonite glass bedding

3/4 MOA accuracy W/ 190 gr. rounds (either Hornady or Winchester). BOSS muzzle brake is micrometer adjusting for finding the barrel harmonics "sweet spot" with various loads.

2.6 in three shot group shot of the bipod.

View attachment 37037

Bigngreen... Beautiful group. I'd be happy with that at 600 yards. Last night I was hitting 4" 6 shot groups, and though not my best... I feel confident taking elk with consistent 4" groups.

Now if the wind picks up past 15 mph and it's gusty... 600 is a whole other matter for getting inside even 5" for me with 6 shots. Idaho provides some fairly unusual wind patterns at times making long distance a guessing game sometimes, one I'm not willing to play with when the stakes are an animals life, unless it's a coyote.... Then all bets are off!!!:D

old m-70, McMillan stock, Krieger bbl,caliber: .340 wby, 225 gr bullets barnes or partitions.

3-9 x 42 kahles scope

knob twisting: hart long range hunter in .30 hart

real long knob twisting: McMillan .50 bmg

Browning 338 Win Mag with 225g Nosler Trophy Bonded Bear Claw. Gets the job done every time. Testing a new Sendero 7mm Mag out with 168g Bergers this year to extend my range a little.

Swedish M96 (1918), 6.5X55 with Norma hunting ammo.

I did replace the stock sights with a set of Mojo peeps.

I don't ever shoot beyond 100 to 150 yards, so the old Swede works for me. :)

I'm not a long distance shooter, but I do enjoy the site and the forums... Hope that's ok.

Mine is a 7mm stw. Remington 700 sendero with a vxiii-6.5-20x50.
But here in Oregon most the time I take my ruger 30-06 when beating the brush. (Most shots are shorter then 100 yards.)
So the long range set up gets used for bear, and deer more often.

Mine is the same one i bought back in 1973, its a Rugar mod 77 tang safety 300 win mag. I did change the stock to a Brown's Precision glass model. I also did a little trigger work last year. I have a old 3x9 Leupold scope with duplex cross hairs. It kills anything i put the scope on, and I've never lost an animal. I like shooting it so much, i use it for mule deer as well. Even shot an antelope with it one year. It's old, it's not pretty, but, it still shoots very well. I've got other rifles, but, this one is my go to gun, loll.

I haven't even thought about it yet. I have 3 tags this year and hoping to fill at least one with my bow.

I used my 280 Remington last year and it worked well, the year before that was the 300wsm, the year before that was the 338 win mag, the year before that the 30-06....I have to many rifles to use just one every year for my elk rifle.

I bought a Remington model 7 Kevlar in 308 earlier this year and haven't really done much with it yet. I might work up a good load for that and use it this year. Also have a 50 Razor Back barrel for my Savage maybe I should use that 500gr bullet at 2200fps that might work.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.