What's too much?

338weatherby

I'm curious what everyone's "too much" price is for primers these days? I, like everyone else, have been checking here and there hoping to find some. I find myself thinking, "I've spent money on worse" when I toss the idea around of picking some up while still available. It's nice seeing some powders showing up here and there, but primers on retail at reputable sites are non-existent. Not posting for this for help making a decision, just thought it would be interesting to see everyone's thoughts on this. What say you?

I traded a buddy 1000 155 scenars for 3,000 cci 450's
since I had 4000 scenars I was OK giving up some to get about a years worth of small rifle primers.

$40/1,000

A few places locally sell for around or below that. Trouble is finding them in stock, but I'm not in desperate need. I'd like more small pistol primers to keep shooting higher volume there, but I can just shoot less until prices come down.

At the gun broker prices I'll just stop shooting for a few years. I'll miss it, but spending a few hundred on a brick of primers isn't worth it to me. That few hundred buys a few dirt bike tires, new hiking boots, or something else.

I had started stocking up in January 2020 with the election looming, thought a year would give me enough time. Got a good powder order in October. Just some primers and projectiles for a new barrel I have coming now.

Saw small pistol magnums locally for 100 per k. Yeah it's high, but it keeps the speculators from scooping them all up, or people like me from adding to their stash. If I needed a few to have some ammo, I'd do that probably. But to buy on a normal scale, 50-55 per k is probably ok. I think we need to be realistic on what prices will be on the back side of this thing.

I also think I am starting to see a little light at the end of the tunnel. More ammo showing up locally and online, yes at high prices, but it's there at least. A month ago you couldn't say that even. And more bullets showing up online, and staying more than an hour. Some at normal prices. Some kind of powder usually shows up every day or two somewhere now. I'm holding off buying for now until I see exactly what I want because I think it's coming back slowly.

Last ones I saw were at a little hole in the wall gun shop I go to when I can and they were 7 dollars a 100, the owner said they were out of his private stash and had it limited to 4 a person I did not buy any but would have if I were in need thought it to be fair being he was selling his own primers and not able to restock anytime soon

Guess I got lucky today. I got a text from a friend I don't see too often that the LGS had small rifle primers in this morning. Limit two per customer. Had one of my guys who's working down the road swing in for me too. Price wasn't bad, 20% over their normal price.

Attachments

• 426FE348-6637-415E-8C32-F043D1A98AD3.jpeg
    426FE348-6637-415E-8C32-F043D1A98AD3.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 49
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.