Whats the hot 338 bullet going now?

I see more guys shooting the berger at my club than all the others. That being said read about the 270eldx and 285 eldm on here. The 300 serria has less bc but a solid reputation for higher speed 338's.

Hammer Bullets if you have the twist 1/9. Or cutting edge lasers.
If using for very very long distance targets. The cutting edge has the best bc.
But for hunting the hammer is where you want to go. I run them in my .338 lapua improved.

I have shot the Berger 300 last 8 years and works well,really over for what you need in NA.I have two rifles nearly same that like same load so dont like messing with it. I bet the Hammers would be good too

Yep when you put all that work into load work and you have one that works it's hard to go back. I've got a few that will stay using cutting edge cause it's good now and lots of work. But a few will get redone and new ones will launch hammers.

Hammer Bullets if you have the twist 1/9. Or cutting edge lasers.
If using for very very long distance targets. The cutting edge has the best bc.
But for hunting the hammer is where you want to go. I run them in my .338 lapua improved.
Totally agree on the Hammer bullets. I shoot the 213 gr Hunter with great accuracy at 3205 fps. It's a devastating bullet on game. Used it on my Kodiak Island mountain goat hunt in October. Made very short work of a nice billy
I load Hammer Bullets in 5 different calibers

.....Totally agree on the Hammer bullets. I shoot the 213 gr Hunter with great accuracy at 3205 fps. It's a devastating bullet on game. Used it on my Kodiak Island mountain goat hunt in October. Made very short work of a nice billy I load Hammer Bullets in 5 different calibers.....

He got it right, nothing to add.

If you are not going to shoot past a mile, the 270 ELDX will probably be the flattest shooting of the bunch, and will definitely have the energy to kill anything.

If you are just trying to see how far you can shoot, the 285 ELDM has a higher BC (published) and can be pushed faster than the 300 Berger. Furthermore a 285 grain bullet is going to do just fine on game at really any distance.

What would be the average maximum distance this round would good for as far as accuracy and terminal ability for hunting bear and deer? And is this just a straight 338 Lapua ? And how long of a barrel is needed ? How would this compare to a 38 - 378 as far as distance ?

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.