Whats the most stable transonic bullet?

Use the 175. In a short barrel you will be better with moderate weight bullet and a moderate burning rate powder. With a long barrel, a slower powder and heavier bullet will be better. If you are not going to shoot into the transonic ranges then you should look at the Berger and other 155s.

Use the 175. In a short barrel you will be better with moderate weight bullet and a moderate burning rate powder. With a long barrel, a slower powder and heavier bullet will be better. If you are not going to shoot into the transonic ranges then you should look at the Berger and other 155s.
Thanks. 155 was what I had in mind. a lot of info out there from palma style matches.

So unless it's dead calm, high bc will win out over low bc at long range with all else equal. e.g. bullet uniformity/balance, shooter ability.
Shooting off my shoulder, I'd rather shoot bullets 20% more accurate than higher BC ones that buck the wind 20% better. I can compensate for wind when it changes. I can't compensate for less accuracy. Besides, higher BC bullets typically have more recoil and that means they're harder to shoot accurately.

Shooting off my shoulder, I'd rather shoot bullets 20% more accurate than higher BC ones that buck the wind 20% better. I can compensate for wind when it changes. I can't compensate for less accuracy. Besides, higher BC bullets typically have more recoil and that means they're harder to shoot accurately.

I agree. 20% more accurate is a significant difference.

As to more recoil... it's all relative. If I were stepping up to a larger cartridge and higher BC bullet in order to shoot farther without being transonic, I might also be looking at a rifle with a little more weight, a brake, and a bipod. That may not be an option for a competitive shooter with caliber, weight, and brake restrictions.

-- richard

As to more recoil... it's all relative. If I were stepping up to a larger cartridge and higher BC bullet in order to shoot farther without being transonic, I might also be looking at a rifle with a little more weight, a brake, and a bipod.
I'm talking about the recoil that effects how accurate one can shoot, the recoil of the bullet going down the barrel. After the bullet leaves the barrel, it doesn't matter.

I'm talking about the recoil that effects how accurate one can shoot, the recoil of the bullet going down the barrel. After the bullet leaves the barrel, it doesn't matter.

I agree with your premise that accuracy and recoil are significant factors. But, at increasing distances, LouBoyd's comments about velocity and BC still win out over transonic performance.

What bullet/load data would you be using in a 308 to compete against a 338 Edge +P at 1750+ yds? I don't think it would be much of a contest.

In spite of recoil, I'm betting on the Edge being supersonic and the 308 being transonic. And, the 338 will win with a higher BC bullet.

-- richard

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.