Whats the cartridge you LOVE to HATE?

Don't understand the big problem with belts. I kept mine on a wildcat and because of it there's no forming false shoulder to insure a well formed shoulder. It ever forms a proper shoulder when using Cream of Wheat without an excessive amount of powder. As far as the less than 1 caliber neck, if the bullet is put in straight the length of the neck isn't a problem. If you want heavier bullet pull try the Lee crimper, it works. It can even be used to help a minor amount of bullet runout. If you're looking for added range you can change the barrel and lengthen the throat and get a different twist, even progressive. 300 Win. Mag brass grows on trees as does 30 caliber bullets.
Someone has already said that it has more won competitions than any other cartridge.
I have a 300 RUM. It bucks pretty good, isn't that much faster than my 300Wm with the same bullet, and not to mention that it eats powder. I can't remember exactly how many, but it wont get nearly as many rounds from a pound of powder. Putting it into the press with the bullet on the brass for seating is more meticulous unless you use a press for a 50 cal.
I'll stop here because I'm sure that I've ticked off enough people to get this to 100 pages, so let the rebuttals and insults begin. I can't wait to see this. Paul

Last edited:
Well... Y'all can disrespect the Creedmoor all you want but to be honest with you the only two purely factory rifles I have chambered in 6.5 Creedmoor both shoot reliably right at a half inch and with factory ammo and that is crazy accurate. Also at 300yds the groups are ridiculously small. I don't have a proper range that is longer here that I'm a member of but this summer we intend to do some 400-600yd hog hunting on my lease over bait and I don't think I'll need more gun but time will tell.

I've always hunted medium to large game with 30 caliber rifles but other than elk or moose I don't think I'll be undergunned with a 6.5 Creed. I guess time and some experience with it will tell the story but from what I read it will be adequate easily out to 600yds.

Now if I could just fine a magic 7-08 Tikka.... ;)

OH... And regarding that article on Outdoor Life regarding the Rifle Knockdown Power Myth, I think they're spot on.
Here it is again for those of you that might have missed it....
WTH happened on this thread? I check in a couple months after posting and now there's actually creedmore shooters ragging on the 7-08? First bud light and now this

I like my 300 RUM. Shot it at the bench to sight it in. Shot a 6x6 bull elk that was on the full run across a field at 250 yards. (It started out 100 yards from me but friends son was supposed to be near where it came out but got tangled up in the bush and didn't make it to where he was supposed to be.)

Gotta admit, that gun just felt absolutely right in the hand and I remember watching bullet hit pretty darn close to where I wanted it to.

It's a Sako AIII with a sako laminate stock from a different gun and a beretta barrel. Oddest combo ever.

Haven't fired it since then lol. I think that was 11 years ago??? Wow time flies...

I didn't mean that there was anything wrong with a 300 RUM like I said, I have 1. I'm yet to see a situation where the RUM would do something the Win. Mag. Wouldn't do. I haven't really stretched it or the 300 Wm. out past 500 yards, so there maybe something beyond there but I don't see how with the exterior ballistics being so similar. Maybe it's just me

I don't really love to hate any cartridge. I kinda like them all. However, there are some cartridges I like better than others.

I do like more modern case designs such as the PRC line and I get the principle of the Creedmoor cartridges.

What I don't like is chamber designs of some cartridges that would be perfected (in my opinion) by more modern chamber designs. I've done just that with my 30 Nosler, 7 RSAUM, and 300 RUM. (Those are perhaps my favorite cartridges with the good ol 30-06 thrown in there for good measure - as long as the 30-06 has the proper chamber as well).

Edit: my guns mentioned above have Bartlein and Krieger barrels chambered with custom reamers.

Last edited:
haven't really stretched it or the 300 Wm. out past 500 yards
At that short of a range there's basically no difference between any magnum, heck a 308 still works fine that close. Take it out to 1k+ and you'll start to see the benefits of heavier bullet/same velocity from the larger case on extending the supersonic range of the bullet.

I need a 30 BR. I have pretty much everything else in 308 cal except the smallest of the small.

Buttermilk, how did you change the chambers, especially the 300 RUM?
QuietTexan, I realize that most 30's will work out to 800 yards but I do like the fact that the increased velocity helps the trajectory be flatter and the bullet to open. It's not a great deal flatter or faster but some. I also like the fact that I can shoot the same rifle with different loads to go 1k+ yards.

If you can't hit it with a 300 WM... shooting a 300 RUM ain't going to help. Wait a minute... I bought my 30-378 Wby just for a potential 700 yard shot at a monster mule deer that liked to hide out in a coulee that had some private property no hunting running through it.

Now... I did take my 30-378 for a friendly competition with some friends years ago. There were 5 of us who had access to a 1 mile by 1 mile gravel pit. And the owner was good with us shooting since we knew to keep away from the equipment. So the deal was... last guy to hit their 5 gallon pails full of water (3 each) at the 1 mile distance had to buy supper AND drinks!!! I got lucky and I think I was the 3rd guy to get them. The first guy was shooting his 338 WM if all things. Now in this all... I can tell you one thing... we started pretty C O C K Y and in the end we were pretty humbled!!!

I should add that I think this was about 18 maybe 20 years ago and while we had 5x20 or 5x25 scopes, that was the limit of what you could sort of buy. I remember is was the very first time vortex had come out with the PST version I. Lol

The overbore boomers I understand from a time where the average hunter didn't dial for elevation, and have a ballistic calculator to confirm trajectory, windage and impact velocity.

As we have increased our tech and at hand mechanical advantage to better understand what is happening/what to do and our bullets to perform better within planned velocity windows the boomers scales seem to me shifting from a fun necessary evil to wasteful and unneeded. I do understand people like what they like, and obviously there comes a distance when the extra powder is needed for impact velocity, but on average I think dialing elevation is the biggest cut to a ultra mags throat and staying power. Though high bc game bullets may be right there too a 300 win with a 215 makes a 300 run with a partition look a bit silly way out there

Buttermilk, how did you change the chambers, especially the 300 RUM?
QuietTexan, I realize that most 30's will work out to 800 yards but I do like the fact that the increased velocity helps the trajectory be flatter and the bullet to open. It's not a great deal flatter or faster but some. I also like the fact that I can shoot the same rifle with different loads to go 1k+ yards.
Scpaul, I've edited my post to reflect how my chambers are different. I have custom barrels and with chambers cut with custom reamers.

I bought my 300 RUM on a whim. A guy came into my GS and wanted to sell it. They wouldn't give him what he wanted. I went out behind him and made a better offer and got half box of ctgs. with it. I think I paid 450 and the box of ammo that had some missing was all that had been through it. His friend told me on the Q.T. that he had developed a nasty "flinch" right after he shot it a couple of times. Imagine that !!! I expected great things that my 300 Wm wouldn't do. That was right after the 300 RUM came out with all of the hype. I think if I were shooting over 1k with a heavy bullet that I might see some advantage but I don't see that happening any time soon. I have done good with the recoil up to 180+. I'd wonder what it would be like with a 215+ bullet sent at max velocity. I think that I'd better hang on, haha. I've killed deer with it and they aren't any deader than with my o6, 300 win or any of my others. It just costs more in several ways.