Whats the cartridge you LOVE to HATE?

I'll admit I have zero experienc with battery powered optics. But I do recall reading that the Remington system was to use a 9 volt haha. Not the same as a massive lead acid vehicle battery or an airplane, not even remotely comparable.

What's the coldest you've ever gone shooting in? I can tell you from real experience a 9 volt in a chronograph doesn't take long to DIE DIE DIE in -20 to -40 ranges. Neither does the one in your cell phone if you leave it out in your car for an hour or two by mistake.

And give it enough time…if you're not starting your vehicle on a regular basis and it's subject to cold for a long time that battery weakens. And the battery works because it gets recharged by an alternator that ultimately depends on combustion. Dare ya to find out how long your truck battery survives our winter with no alternator (I mean it dies regardless but it dies MUCH faster in this. Also a reason why I'll never own an electric vehicle - they're fine for California. There have been real incidents already in my home province of suckers who bought the stupid things and got stranded in the middle of nowhere (which is most of Saskatchewan 🤣) because, you guessed it, real cold weather KILLS batteries. One lady had to get her car towed in (and rescued from freezing to death at night) when her electric car didn't even make it half the distance it was supposed to be able to.

It's not public stubbornness or bad marketing. It's a bad idea for any rifle that has to work no matter what. Again, fine for target guns. Not for field guns, be it sporting or military. Primers have proven their reliability (tho they are hard to find, I think I need a flintlock)

Oh!!! Your comparison, invalid as I may deem it, nonetheless gives me a great and ridiculous idea (I have lots of them, mostly bad 🤣)

AN ELECTRICALLY FIRED RIFLE….WITH AN ALTERNATOR!!!!!

Attached to the muzzle, instead of a brake or suppressor, we have a big can that contains a turbine that the gas from the muzzle blast spins hard, like a turbocharger, and this is connected to a whole magnet/coil set up like an alternator to generate electrical current which is then used to charge the gun's battery.

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

🥴
I live on the iron range in northern Mn and have for 55 years, I know cold. Ill be shooting today. I have a Bushnell Lite-Site scope that I bought at age 14. One can still. Buy that battery today. Yes cold kills batteries,,, BUT ‼️ batteries in good shape last a long time. Look at the batteries in cordless tools. The battery in my Milwaukee impact stays in the box of my truck and has been in there since last summer & it has full charge. Look at AA lithium batteries in trail cameras that last for weeks in sub zero temps. 9 v is barely used anymore because of better products. Remington E-Tronics used/uses primers. My neighbor has one in 22-250 he uses on p-dogs. Every chronograph I've ever owned eats 9v batteries

Then a modern day Carlos Hathcock will shoot an enemy sniper…after his location was revealed by the glare from his rifle's solar panels! 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Instead of through the scope…

"Shot right through the photovoltaic cell array and into the enemy's eyeball!!!"

I'm feeling silly today, had a 6 shooter for breakfast…that's code for six shots of espresso straight on an empty stomach…
& Carlos got very lucky on that one, I've read the book

I live on the iron range in northern Mn and have for 55 years, I know cold. Ill be shooting today. I have a Bushnell Lite-Site scope that I bought at age 14. One can still. Buy that battery today. Yes cold kills batteries,,, BUT ‼️ batteries in good shape last a long time. Look at the batteries in cordless tools. The battery in my Milwaukee impact stays in the box of my truck and has been in there since last summer & it has full charge. Look at AA lithium batteries in trail cameras that last for weeks in sub zero temps. 9 v is barely used anymore because of better products. Remington E-Tronics used/uses primers. My neighbor has one in 22-250 he uses on p-dogs. Every chronograph I've ever owned eats 9v batteries
Fair enough man. Yes the batteries they have today certainly are much much better than what was around 20 years ago I'll give ya that.

Hmmm how many people have had their rifle not fire in cold weather?? Many many! Firing pin failures
Electronic, manual, mechanical stuff fails lol
I'm just hoping for a better mouse trap lol
People once thought the horse would never be replaced 🤣

Last edited:
Hmmm how many people have had their rifle not fire in cold weather?? Many many! Firing pin failures
Must be lucky, hasn't happened to me yet. But I do live in a "dry cold" haha. -30 and bone dry doesn't test mechanical systems the way coastal temperate wet winters that freeze/thaw over and over again do.

All this being acknowledged, I'd still trust my hunt or my life to a firing pin and a primer LOOOOOOONG before I'd trust it to a battery and a spark in any kind of harsh conditions, be they cold, wet, or both. Proven to work for a very long time now. And I've seen enough of electrical gizmos in the cold or if they get wet to know which system is more reliable. Just my personal opinion, I'm all for the development of new tech and new choices, and people should be free to make their choices. This would be the choice I'd make even if I had other options.

Must be lucky, hasn't happened to me yet. But I do live in a "dry cold" haha. -30 and bone dry doesn't test mechanical systems the way coastal temperate wet winters that freeze/thaw over and over again do.

All this being acknowledged, I'd still trust my hunt or my life to a firing pin and a primer LOOOOOOONG before I'd trust it to a battery and a spark in any kind of harsh conditions, be they cold, wet, or both. Proven to work for a very long time now. And I've seen enough of electrical gizmos in the cold or if they get wet to know which system is more reliable. Just my personal opinion, I'm all for the development of new tech and new choices, and people should be free to make their choices. This would be the choice I'd make even if I had other options.
I edited my last one, so take a look😀

As they stand at the round bale or pasture for 360 days lol maybe ridden for 5 lol I grew up un a big farm btw lol now my horse is named Yamaha 😆

The Yamaha is great, except that grass/hay is natural…..producing gasoline is a bit more difficult! Juss Say'n! 😉

Who'da thunk that we'd have a component shortage of the magnitude that we have now…..and it could get much worse ! memtb

9mm……the Creedmore of handguns/pistols! 😉😂 memtb
I'm going to hazard a guess and say that more people have died from the 9X19 Parabellum(9MM) since 1901 than any other handgun cartridge out there.
It's not 1986 Miami anymore where the 115gr HP was used. With a 124gr bullet it is a formable duty/defensive round.
All the talk of shooting 50+ rounds to stop a person is silly. It's not the range where you get to take your time, aim, adjust your shooting stance, and not have gallons of adrenaline pumping through your body.

I shot expert on every weapons system I carried in the Army. M16, M4, M203, M9, M2, M60 and later the M240, M249 and the one I loved the most the MK-19. I can tell you that when you're getting shot at your expert marksmanship goes right out the window. If it took a full magazine dump to drop a Taliban then it takes a full mag and I didn't feel bad about wasting a magazine when one or two rounds would do. I'm here and they aren't.

Just make sure that 9mm Glock has a 12# NY trigger.... you too can make 10 hits on the perp but still shoot 9 bystanders at the same time🤣 +1 in the good column!!!