Whats the best rifle for building a 338LM on?

SUB-MOA

As the Subject says I'm looking at one of the big .338s pref. the Lapua because of its heritage, and am wondering which factory rifle to build it on? Could it be done on a sendero action? Has anyone done it? Also what's the barrel life like? (I'd wear out the 26" barrel before rebarreling to something longer).

This is a good way to start an argument between Darryl and myself
grin.gif
but....
Yes the Lapua can be built in a Remmy, Remington did some themselves and I have built dozens of them on Remmy action.
For tactical rigs, no problem.
For Ultra LR rigs, in improved cases etc, custom actions, long barrels etc.
That should keep the peace....
wink.gif

[ 02-08-2004: Message edited by: chris matthews ]

As the original poster asked, what factory rifle could I chamber the 338 LM on?

"If" I wanted a 338 Lapua, I do believe "I" would buy the Sako 3 lug Md 995 factory rifle since it's already made for the cartridge and no extensive bolt modifications need to be done, as it would on the Remmington 700 or 721 actions.

Since this rifle already comes chambered in the 338 LM it would be an excellent choice.

I would at some point restock it and also rebarrel it to something longer though.

Later
DC
smile.gif
wink.gif

Thanks all, thats good to know.

I didn't really word the question too well, What I'm wondering is whats the best calibre, I'd definitely like to do it on a remington (if possible). Whats the feeding like? If I can buy something like a .338 RUM and ream the chamber and open the bolt face that'd probably be the cheapest and best option. Otherwise, buy the c grade from their custom shop (any standard calibre)and order that in the lap. Its kind a waste though if I only want the action after all the barrel is too short and I prefer synthetic stocks.

-So yeah all help appreciated

The 700 IS capable of handling the .338 Lap. I am currently shooting a wildcat based on the .338 Lap (.338 Lapua necked to 7mm) and I have had GREAT luck so far. It was a considerable amount of work, but definitely worth it. The bolt face has to be opened WAY up and Sako has an extractor for the 338 that you can use in the 700. The only other problem I had was that, whereas, the case fits in the magazine, it is too big to fit up through the bottom of the receiver and be fed into the chamber. This, of course, can be remedied by opening the lower end up a little wider. All said and done, it's a good action to build a 338 on. Though, I think a Mark V would probably be a better choice if you are not willing to do the extra work!

TH

I agree with Darryl on this one, go with the Sako. The 700 Remmy is a great action to build from but IMHO the Sako is far superior.

Len: I actually haven't shot it that much over the past few weeks, but it's hitting 1/4 - 1/2" @ 100yds easily using the 168 SMK's. I'm currently working on my 243AI so the 7mm is kind of on the back burner at this time. Turner mentioned to me that you had called him the other day about the 7/338!

TH

Austin, yes, he was generous in his phone time spent with me. Very nice and helpful guy.

I must agree here. Whereas the Rem is a little stronger, I can say from experience that is not the best action for a .338. The Sako is better suited for this type of work. Better yet, a Mark V would be the top choice, but a Sako should work beautifully and serve you well.

TH

We've got 700's in 30-338 Lapua Imp and 338-378 Weatherby both. They work just fine.
wink.gif

My dad has a 700 fitted with an AR30 338 Lapua 5 rd magazine he's thinking of barreling to 338 Lapau too, it's 338 WSM right now.

I think the 30's have the top edge in the accuracy depertment, so I think I'll do another 30-338 LI before I do the 338 LI.

The Remington works fairly easy if you single feed them, open the boltface, Sako extractor, not really much involved, there's a bit more work to make them feed though.

Here's something George Gardener posted a while back:

Who said a Remington was not strong enough?? We do them all the time, The Lapua is not any higher pressure than the 300 Ultra Mag and they do those at the factory, In fact early in the 338 Lapua game, Boots Obermeyer and Fred Martin at Remington built prototype rifles "SR-8" in 338 Lapua on the 700 actions in an HS Stock with a Remington built detactable mag.

Brent: I'm interested in hearing more about your 30/338 Lap as I am getting ready to build one on a 700 action. My 7/338 Lap is rock solid and I LOVE it. I must object to the comment above about the 700 not being "able to compete in the modern accuracy environment" though. This is a total fallacy and is proved inaccurate every day. The 700 is one of the most accurate and reliable actions on the market as it has been for many years. Unfortunately, there are quite a few people out there who own Sako's and think that you can get no better. All I can say is that if my tactical rifle in the Marine Corps is based on a 700 action and the Sako is better, why has the US govt not started using Sako instead of Rem actions? Now, for the novice, a Sako or a Weatherby (Weatherby being the superior of the two) action would be ideal for someone with little experience in wildcatting, but if you're after the the action with the most after-market parts and info available, then you'll choose the Remington. For the easy way out, the Sako would be fine as there is less work to be done, but, if you want a rifle that you can always rely on, then the Remington is the way to go. I put my life in the hands of Remington on more than one occasion (and have owned and shot them for 25 years now) and it never let me down so if it was me building the rifle, I would choose nothing but the M700. I have had 11 Sako rifles and, whereas they have been good rifles, I feel that they try a little too hard to make a rifle that "looks pretty" rather than one that can go to hell and back without incident. I'm not in any way trashing Sako because they ARE good rifles, i'm just saying that they are a little overpriced for what you get. The only thing bad I can ever say about the 700 is that when they went to that new "J-Lock" system, it removed the ability to install a speed lock firing pin (which I have grown very fond of). Anyhow, everybody above makes some good points, but, I personally would go with a 700. There IS quite a bit of work to be done, but, in the end, it's WELL worth every bit of it. Just my .02!

TH

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.