Whats the Best Bottom Metal for Rifle Build?

matt_3479

About to start a 260. rem project which will be on a Remington 700 S/A, McMillan A5 stock, and will be focusing on 139, 140, and 142 gr bullets. What Bottom Metal do you suggest?

I run a DBM setup from Badger on all my short action guns and I like to be able to remove all the ammo without using a hinged floorplate.

Is your focus on a blind magazine or a removable magazine? I'd suggest looking at PTG. Competitively priced, functions without a hitch.
If you're looking for a blind magazine setup I have one I'd part with.

About to start a 260. rem project which will be on a Remington 700 S/A, McMillan A5 stock, and will be focusing on 139, 140, and 142 gr bullets. What Bottom Metal do you suggest?

For a short action on an A5 stock, the choice would be easy for me. Surgeon bottom metal.

In a setup such as the OP is discussing, I wouldn't even be thinking of a standard floorplate. It would be DBM everyday, all day & twice on Sunday :D

I've heard good things about the PTG but have not had the chance to work with one. If a large mag sticking out the bottom bothers you, I've had great success with the HS setup.

With the standard DBM setup, I really like how the mag release on the APA setup works. It's built into the trigger guard rather than having a tab that sticks out.

t

CDI Precision gets my vote. I just installed one on my rifle and I really like it. In addition, it is run by a small business guy who's customer service is awesome. He and his wife are great to deal with.

I did the inletting on my Grey Bull Precision stock myself. Built the jig, drew the part, wrote the code, and ran it on the CNC. I had to call Jeff at 2 different points during the process for guidance. One of the times he called me back at 630pm on a Friday night to help. I can't say enough good things about CDI and their customer service or their product quality.

Quick vid of inletting in the mag well area.

Last edited by a moderator:
My vote for a hunting rifle is HS precision, spendy as hell but very good! And Seekins for my match rifles.
Chris

I use PT&G stainless bottom metal exclusively on my builds. I have seen and ordered their blued steel models for clients, and they are very good quality too.
I haven't seen a better made bottom metal for the price yet.
I also use their stainless versions on Winchester Model 70's.
This what I recommend.

Cheers.
gun)

I've got the PTG on my 700 7mag and it has worked flawlessly for me. I'm real keen on the looks but the function has been great for me. I ordered the AICS 3.75" OAL mag from brownells(midway didnt show it) and no complaints. Fit right into my factory HS inlet.

I'm thinking about trying a Wyatts on my 25-06.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.