Whats the best rifle for building a 338LM on?

Guys, I would like to share a conversation I had some time ago with a very creditable gunsmith, Howard Wolfe of PA. The world record 1000 yard gun from Williamsport was built partially by him and it is referenced in the sierra edition 4 (I think) reloading manual under benchrest. Anyway, the conversation started by me asking him his thoughts on an action suitable for the 30-378 weatherby cartridge. Now before I go any further, allow me to bring another part to life. Years ago Roy Weatherby was contacted by the U.S. Army asking to see how fast he could drive a bullet. He used his 30-378 Weahterby, drove the bullet over 5000fps. Then he shelved the caliber. Howard Wolfe, then picked up sometime after that and started expiremented with it. And according the story in the Sierra manual, which I am plagerizing a bit, that is what really brought the 30-378 about. So now that we are here, Howard told me that there are many actions that would "shoot" the cartridge, but what he did say, anything short of a Weatherby is not safe. In his expierience with a cliber this size, it will, after each firing over a period of time, cause the recoil lugs to "crush". This can and will increase over a period of time, obviously by how much you shoot the gun, and eventually lead you into "Excessive Headspace", and hopefully we all know what that means. In addition Howard told me that he wouldn't even consider putting that size cartridge even off a Remington. Whay all this story, maybe it's a matter of yes you can, or maybe you could, but is it really worth the risk? All I care to say after this long story is, be safe, be responsible and think before you act, it just might save your life. One last thing, Howard also designed a 30-378 short, basically by shortening the 378 case and then forming it and necking it down to 30. Maybe more realistic on the likes of a Remington, but I never asked what he would do with that cartridge.

And one more thing, I am the guy who emailed Darryl regarding his story about Bill Miller and his action testing. This is very tru about Bill, he was hell bent on destroying things, just to see what they would handle. In addition, the 338 Lapua is a big cartridge, basically along the lines of the 378 case. Ya, ya I know they put the 338 Ultra Mag off of a Remington action. Once again, sure you can do it, but for how long? Is it worth maybe having the lugs shear off the bolt and fly back into your face?

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.