Whats causing these bad groups?

I have bedded a few plastic stocks for people what I found to work best is JB plastic weld epoxy thickened with Wheeler engineering micro ballons score the plastic up pretty heavy and then wipe down with denatured alcohol let it dry and bed it

Not concerned with that. I have 3 more that are still running factory stocks if i need a really light rig
Ive got a 280ai in the savage ultralite that im about to pull my hair out over. I cant get it to groups consistently. It either shoots 1/2moa or 2moa (pic attached)
The gun has approximately 300 rounds through it and heres what ive tried.

- 4 types of powder, 3 types of bullets, 2 primers and 2 headstamp brass
- Completely broke the gun apart and re assembled
- changed scopes
- open barrel channel up more
- different tq specs on action screws

With this all being said I can take 3 3shot groups and one of them will have a terrible group that's normally vertically spread. Im not running the barrel hot and the bad groups will sometimes be on a fresh cold barrel and sometimes not.

Also keep in mind that i have 3 other ultralites that I will shoot in between barrel cooling, off of the same bench with the same bags and I do not get this problem with the other ultralites.

Im thinking either something with the gun/barrel is messed up or that its time to buy a different stock?

Pics attached are 3 groups with 7828 and 3 groups with r23. All variables were the same and as you see i had a bad group with each load
** you gotta decipher through the lines and X marks but there is 3 3shot groups on each pic. The X marked holes where previous shots from another rifle.
What grain bullets are you shooting, and what rifling twist does the barrel have?

Ive got a 280ai in the savage ultralite that im about to pull my hair out over. I cant get it to groups consistently. It either shoots 1/2moa or 2moa (pic attached)

- changed scopes

With this all being said I can take 3 3shot groups and one of them will have a terrible group that's normally vertically spread. Im not running the barrel hot and the bad groups will sometimes be on a fresh cold barrel and sometimes not.

Also keep in mind that i have 3 other ultralites that I will shoot in between barrel cooling, off of the same bench with the same bags and I do not get this problem with the other ultralites.

Im thinking either something with the gun/barrel is messed up or that its time to buy a different stock?

Pics attached are 3 groups with 7828 and 3 groups with r23. All variables were the same and as you see i had a bad group with each load
** you gotta decipher through the lines and X marks but there is 3 3shot groups on each pic. The X marked holes where previous shots from another rifle.
Assuming that it's new & the barrel is not shot out, IMO: 1) Double-assure that it isn't your scope/rings/mounts, 2) Check the headspace with the ammo you're using, 3) Since the barrel was likely free-floated new, assure that there's no contact anywhere between the barrel & stock,*
4) Get some factory ammo & find something that it likes.
BTW: A shooting buddy has a .280 which he says is doing exactly what you describe, but his has many thousand rounds down the pipe.
* I took a chance on a used .243 "that wouldn't shoot". There was interference at two points between the barrel & the stock. Removing the contact points made the pig into a laser.

- changed scopes

I have that exact rifle, just bought it in December. I had a heck of a time with the AccuTrigger, but I think I've got that worked that out (see New Savage 110 mis-firing thread). I just loaded about 60 load development rounds for two different powders, and I'm hoping to shoot them this weekend. I hope you get the issue worked out and enjoy the rifle. Please keep us informed on your progress.

Last edited:

- changed scopes

Looks like a potential bedding problem. Bedding will not break the bank, consider trying it. Might also decide if the trigger pull is what you want.

How? Hoping to learn!
Use a dremel tool to score the plastic and remove some of the plastic in recoil lug recess.Everywhere you want to bed score it first and I use Devcon and Johnson's Paste Wax for everything you don't want the Devcon to stick to.
The first one had the barreled action cocked to one side so I took a lot of plastic out and set it straight.Put plumbers putty in channel to keep the barrel straight and put the devcon down.I have bedded 2 of mine and 2 for friends.All came out positive and groups decreased quite a bit.
Not a biggie

Use a dremel tool to score the plastic and remove some of the plastic in recoil lug recess.Everywhere you want to bed score it first and I use Devcon and Johnson's Paste Wax for everything you don't want the Devcon to stick to.
The first one had the barreled action cocked to one side so I took a lot of plastic out and set it straight.Put plumbers putty in channel to keep the barrel straight and put the devcon down.I have bedded 2 of mine and 2 for friends.All came out positive and groups decreased quite a bit.
Not a biggie
Tupperware is a thermoplastic. Epoxy is a thermoset. Poor adhesion between the 2 is well documented. You are saying roughing up the surfaces allowed epoxy to stick? Huh.

How? Hoping to learn!
Use a dremel tool to score the plastic and remove some of the plastic in recoil lug recess.Everywhere you want to bed score it first and I use Devcon and then Johnson's Paste Wax for everything you don't want the Devcon to stick to.
Not a biggie
Tupperware is a thermoplastic. Epoxy is a thermoset. Poor adhesion between the 2 is well documented. You are saying roughing up the surfaces allowed epoxy to stick? Huh.
Yep it will stick.Have done 4 and not a one had problems with adhesion.Have to rough it up pretty good .
I used sandpaper on parts I could get to but it sticks very well.

Last edited: