What's a good custom long range rifle for a decent price?

redhaven85

I'm sure this question come up a lot, but I did a quick search and didn't find a lot.

I'm looking for a good long range hunting/multi-purpose rifle, without going to crazy on cost. I will mainly be hunting whitetails and doing some steel gong shooting, with some coyote and groundhog/p-dog shooting on occasion. I would like to try a 6.5 Creedmoor, but can't decide on a rifle. I don't want to spend anymore than $3k, and would much prefer less.

I keep looking at a G.A. Precision Non-Typical Hunter, but I know there are a lot of other good rifle builders out there that I am not familiar with. Any suggestions?

There are tons of nice custom rifles on this site for way below 3K. As for caliber its all in what you want. Deer size and smaller and with some long range ability, the 6.5 is hard to beat. So you are on the right track in my book. Other than a bit of weight the RPR is about as good as it gets for production rifle you can take to the range and print awesome groups right off the shelf and still light enough to hunt.

I think even a Nosler M48 Liberty is a pretty decent value. Nolser's site says MSRP is just under $1800.

Not a 'custom,' but pretty well built. :cool:

Custom Kelly Atlas if you want a custom.

I would look also at the Ruger PRS in the creedmoor. Hard to find and running around $1300 if you can find one. Easy to upgrade later to a custom barrel also.

..... a Nosler M48 Liberty
Why is its hundred yard sub MOA accuracy guarantee limited to 3 shots? Regardless of the ammo used or who shoots them?

They must not be built good enough to be repeatable for more. Well built ones will shoot dozens of shots in 1/3 MOA at 100; 3/4 MOA at 1000 with good ammo.

Last edited:
This will be my next one. You get what you pay for!

Xtreme Hunter

rifle_border.png

Why is its hundred yard sub MOA accuracy guarantee limited to 3 shots? Regardless of the ammo used or who shoots them?

They must not be built good enough to be repeatable for more. Well built ones will shoot dozens of shots in 1/3 MOA at 100; 3/4 MOA at 1000 with good ammo.

Dozens of consecutive shots through a sporter barrel? Go for it, I wouldn't.

This will be my next one. You get what you pay for!

Xtreme Hunter
$4300 for a rifle guaranteed to shoot 2500 rounds of barrel life with a cartridge burning more powder than the 6.5x284 that doesn't get more than 1000? I don't know what their accuracy standard is for that claim; it needs to be revealed before their claim has any real information.

Do they match additional magazines to the rifle? Rifles using detachable magazines shoot to different points of aim across several unless they're matched to the rifle.

Dozens of consecutive shots through a sporter barrel? Go for it, I wouldn't.
Why?

What's your basis for that reasoning? They're no different than any other barrel. The load doesn't know what physical size the barrel's outside dimensions are it shoots bullets through. All bores are identical to the bullet and powder; they don't touch any other part. Sporter weight Garand barrels last just as long as heavy target barrels shooting the same load.

hi Bart, Bobbit i presume?

can you tell us who builds a sporter weight rifle "good enough" that it shoots 1/3MOA for 20 shots groups ?

or possibly who will mill down a Sierra test barrel for us and screw it to a Rem 700 action or the like, assuming they arent sporter weight already.

I dont mean to come across as a jerk, i just think that judging by repetitive posts you obviously have the formula required to acheive the great accuracy, and judging by others posts, they (we) are looking for it... I mean, who doesnt want a 1/3 MOA for 20 consecutive shots every time out rifle when we are thrilled with one doing it for 3-5 shots on occasion. A huge plus in a sporter weight for hunting , seeing how its a hunting crowd here.

jmd025 (nobody important)

Why?

What's your basis for that reasoning? They're no different than any other barrel. The load doesn't know what physical size the barrel's outside dimensions are it shoots bullets through. All bores are identical to the bullet and powder; they don't touch any other part. Sporter weight Garand barrels last just as long as heavy target barrels shooting the same load.

I'll bet my paycheck there won't be a single sporter barrel at the nationals this year.

I'll bet my paycheck there won't be a single sporter barrel at the nationals this year.
To me, a 30 caliber sporter barrel's 22 to 24 inches long weighing about 2 to 2.5 pounds.

There's been 30 caliber barrels of those sizes and weights at the Nationals winning matches and setting records since the early 1960's. All with commercial match ammo or good handloads. They tested with 20+ shot groups at 600 yards 4 inches or so. At 100 yards, they easily shot inside 1/3 inch.

Some 30 caliber 28" heavy target barrels are just as stiff or rigid as a 22 inch featherweight one.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.