whats a good low recoil long range paper puncher

I like the 7 RM case. I think its pretty efficient. Your only burning around 65g of powder and you can get high BC bullets and shoot them at 2900-3000fps, perfect for 1K. Also has relatively long barrel life, which is a plus for those who like to shoot a lot, like myself. I would love to havea 6.5-06 or the AI version. I think it would be the cats *** for deer/targets to 1000. Only problem is they dont make any factory rifle in that caliber. 140g AMAX at 3100-3200 looks pretty good...162g AMAX at 3K isn't bad either though...Its kinda toss up I guess.

I have a Weatherby 30-378, with a muzzle brake. I can shoot it off a bench with using only my right hand..I dont have to hold it down...doesnt kick...You can probably add a muzzle brake to most guns to make the recoil alot less.

I have shot my 270 WIN to 600 yds before and it doesn't recoil much. You could use it for deer or paper.

Thanks for the advice everyone it is greatly appreciated. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I have a 7WSM and a 7-08 that were built for the same purpose you list above! The 7WSM does a good job of it and the 7-08 should as well (its still not broke in).

Fred Zeglin has his .243 Hawk, basically a 6mm/06 slightly improved. He's getting 4040 FPS from 85 gr as his top performer, or 3867 with 100 gr pills for high BC, all out of a very reasonable 28" tube! Very versatile, but also quite overbore. Doesn't quite kick as hard as the parent 30-06 (lighter bullet). I would suggest that with the vias or Gentry "quiet" muzzlebrakes (not as quiet as without a brake, but much better sound wise than most) and the knoxx system (see my thread knoxx for any rifle) you'd be able to shoot all day long without discomfort!

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.