What would you pack for a day hunt?

DSheetz

Wyowind , how true your statement is . I was elk hunting south of Douglas and the guys were making fun of what I had in my pack until it got dark on us and we still had a couple of miles to go to the trail head and weren't sure our ride was there . We had some hot tea and summer sausage and a small fire to warm up with while we waited for our ride .

Wyowind

DSheetz - Hot tea, summer sausage, and a fire! You are the kind of guy I would like to go hunting with!!

That mountainous area south of Douglas can have some pretty rough weather at times too! And a lot of the prairie around Douglas does not look all that intimidating, but that just means you have never been out there in a blizzard!

DSheetz

I've been out in the prairie around here in all kinds of weather when I used to do predator control , before I retired . The traveling is rough on foot deep draws hills ect. that you can't see until you get there . I got caught in a thunder storm out there one tim a couple of miles from the truck hunting a coyote den hunkered down under a rock for half an hour and still got wet . It was one of those small clouds that look harmless but dumps 3 or 4 inches of rain in a short time on a small area . Then you have to clean the gumbo off your shoes every few steps . LOL I learned to carry things in my coat pockets even in the summer here .

Wyowind

Not much you can carry in your daypack to help with that gumbo! Walk for a while, and become six inches taller!

DSheetz

I rolled up strips of old blue jeans , about an inch wide and 12 " long tied them with string and dipped them in candle wax . You can carry them in a zip lock with water resistant matches , then when you need or want to build a fire you start to un roll it and it lights well and burns long enough to start even damp sticks .

Wyowind

Sounds like a great thing to have in your daypack! Personally, I carry fire building materials no matter what time of year I may be out hunting or even just hiking!

DSheetz

That and a few feet of TP folded then placed in a zip lock bag nether one weighs much and they don't take much room .

DSheetz

My Grandpa and Grandma lived a 3 day trip north of Douglas in the early 20's . They never went any where with out survival gear in their truck a coat and wool blanket any time of the year . It was only 65 miles but hard travel back then dirt two track . Grandpa had a old breach loader that Grandma would put 410's in and shoot rabbits for supper when they camped for the night .

Wyowind

Great stories from the old days! They weren't worried about a daypack, they had all their gear in the back of their truck! Many Wyoming trucks still have gear in the back, even today. For the same reasons as your Grandparents did! And some of those trucks have a daypack loaded with gear year-round, just in case.

Bobcape

I have always carried fire starting supplies in my packs, and trucks. I make most of it. I keep a cardboard egg carton near the dryer. Every time I clean the lint filter I pack the lint into the egg carton. Once it’s heaping full I set it on a cookie sheet and melt paraffin wax and drench the lint in the egg carton. Once it cools I cut them into sections. They will burn while floating in water. I also pour paraffin over round cotton makeup pads. I carry a small candle-in-a-can, storm matches, regular matches in a waterproof container and a Bic lighter. Probably overkill but it is very light weight for all of that.

Bob

8225B1D5-5C65-4C7D-A64F-A2EB85D0AEEB.jpeg

Bob2650

The question is: What skills do you have?
Things that will work for one man might be worthless to another.
The very few things you actually have at hand are better than a load you don't bother to carry.
Professional guidance on skills and equipment may be found in many places. Here is a good one:

Nightforce has great tracking capabilities, they are rugged, a bunch of elevation, holds zero forever, and reticles are designed for long range shooting. So if you are looking to shoot long distances constantly, then you need a scope that can take the abuse. -- gilmillan1

Culture Of Excellence At Nightforce Optics
By Len Backus

A high level of quality both in production and in service. Read More

Nightforce is such a solid combo of reticle, available elevation, glass that is good enough to shoot at the longest range you can dial. Nightforce has bullet proof construction that can handle the incidental horse rolling or some other rodeo action. -- bigngreen

Nightforce ATACR Scope Review
By Jeff Brozovich

The new NightForce ATACR is for sure a top choice for any long range shooter. Read More

The total package. Nightforce is the best I have used as far as turret feel and solid detents. I have never had one that didn't track right on and always return to zero. Nightforce NXS is the best value for everything I need. -- Broz

Nightforce Velocity 1000 Reticle Review
By Scott Shreve

I think Nightforce knocked it outta the park with this reticle! Read More

NightForce