What would you pack for a day hunt?

DSheetz - Hot tea, summer sausage, and a fire! You are the kind of guy I would like to go hunting with!!

That mountainous area south of Douglas can have some pretty rough weather at times too! And a lot of the prairie around Douglas does not look all that intimidating, but that just means you have never been out there in a blizzard!

I've been out in the prairie around here in all kinds of weather when I used to do predator control , before I retired . The traveling is rough on foot deep draws hills ect. that you can't see until you get there . I got caught in a thunder storm out there one tim a couple of miles from the truck hunting a coyote den hunkered down under a rock for half an hour and still got wet . It was one of those small clouds that look harmless but dumps 3 or 4 inches of rain in a short time on a small area . Then you have to clean the gumbo off your shoes every few steps . LOL I learned to carry things in my coat pockets even in the summer here .

Not much you can carry in your daypack to help with that gumbo! Walk for a while, and become six inches taller!

I rolled up strips of old blue jeans , about an inch wide and 12 " long tied them with string and dipped them in candle wax . You can carry them in a zip lock with water resistant matches , then when you need or want to build a fire you start to un roll it and it lights well and burns long enough to start even damp sticks .

Sounds like a great thing to have in your daypack! Personally, I carry fire building materials no matter what time of year I may be out hunting or even just hiking!

That and a few feet of TP folded then placed in a zip lock bag nether one weighs much and they don't take much room .

My Grandpa and Grandma lived a 3 day trip north of Douglas in the early 20's . They never went any where with out survival gear in their truck a coat and wool blanket any time of the year . It was only 65 miles but hard travel back then dirt two track . Grandpa had a old breach loader that Grandma would put 410's in and shoot rabbits for supper when they camped for the night .

Great stories from the old days! They weren't worried about a daypack, they had all their gear in the back of their truck! Many Wyoming trucks still have gear in the back, even today. For the same reasons as your Grandparents did! And some of those trucks have a daypack loaded with gear year-round, just in case.

I have always carried fire starting supplies in my packs, and trucks. I make most of it. I keep a cardboard egg carton near the dryer. Every time I clean the lint filter I pack the lint into the egg carton. Once it's heaping full I set it on a cookie sheet and melt paraffin wax and drench the lint in the egg carton. Once it cools I cut them into sections. They will burn while floating in water. I also pour paraffin over round cotton makeup pads. I carry a small candle-in-a-can, storm matches, regular matches in a waterproof container and a Bic lighter. Probably overkill but it is very light weight for all of that.

Bob

8225B1D5-5C65-4C7D-A64F-A2EB85D0AEEB.jpeg

The question is: What skills do you have?
Things that will work for one man might be worthless to another.
The very few things you actually have at hand are better than a load you don't bother to carry.
Professional guidance on skills and equipment may be found in many places. Here is a good one:

I really don't know about all you City Hunters. You all take every comfort of home you can carry. I'm not sure how many thousands of miles I've walked in the mountains bu I've NEVER needed 90% of the stuff you guys can't leave home without. When I camp I don't take that much Crap with me. baby wipes, hand Sanitizer, walking sticks, bug spray, 2 flashlights, 2 & 3 knives, sharpening stones, saws, tents, tarps, 100' of Rope, Books, OMG people you are going on a Day Hunt, I've lived off Grid with less stuff than you all want to pack with you on a day Hunt. do you guys have to take your wives with you to cook too?