What would you pack for a day hunt?

I really don't know about all you City Hunters. You all take every comfort of home you can carry. I'm not sure how many thousands of miles I've walked in the mountains bu I've NEVER needed 90% of the stuff you guys can't leave home without. When I camp I don't take that much Crap with me. baby wipes, hand Sanitizer, walking sticks, bug spray, 2 flashlights, 2 & 3 knives, sharpening stones, saws, tents, tarps, 100' of Rope, Books, OMG people you are going on a Day Hunt, I've lived off Grid with less stuff than you all want to pack with you on a day Hunt. do you guys have to take your wives with you to cook too?

You should see what I take when I go backpacking. Pack usually weighs around 45#. 😁

Most of my backpacking trips run from 12 to 33 miles round trip in the North Cascades, so elevation gain is usually around 3k-4k feet over the course of the trip. Usually get well above the treeline.

A 5 to 6 mile day hike out for a hunt is a pleasant jaunt and I'd happily carry my comfort stuff. Considered finding one of those pop up blinds I can hide out under during the rain here in the PNW as I do get tired of being wet...

Attachments

• asgaardpass.jpg
    asgaardpass.jpg
    312.5 KB · Views: 97
  • climbingasgaardpass.jpg
    climbingasgaardpass.jpg
    15.1 KB · Views: 121
Most of the time it is what's in my King's Camo day pack already. My one-day excursions are generally impromptu so its a grab the pack out of the pickup and head in.

Pack, fire starter, GPS with OnX, range finder, fixed blade, pocket knife, yeti water bottle, one small 12 oz water bottle, a small jar of peanut butter, trail mix, 2 rags, 2 garbage bags, some nylon rope, binos, rifle, sidearm, can of Copenhagen wintergreen, whatever I'm wearing plus a coat and head in.

Six pages of great ideas and one common denominator - all of the suggestions are based on the experience that folks have had hunting in various parts of the country for different critters at different times of the year. So you should take them to heart and consider what you may experience and plan accordingly. The key is you may. All you have to do is spend one night out with only the gear for a one day hunt, and you will get sensitized to what is suggested above. We should all remember that you are really alone in most of these endeavors, and it is up to you to get yourself out of the predicaments that you get yourself into. Enough preaching, but as I have hunted alone for 60 some odd years in Mo, WA, Wyo, MT, ID, UT, and CO for all species, I have become somewhat risk adverse as a result of some pretty close calls. And all of those close calls have taught me lessons that I use in packing my gear.

I really don't know about all you City Hunters. You all take every comfort of home you can carry. I'm not sure how many thousands of miles I've walked in the mountains bu I've NEVER needed 90% of the stuff you guys can't leave home without. When I camp I don't take that much Crap with me. baby wipes, hand Sanitizer, walking sticks, bug spray, 2 flashlights, 2 & 3 knives, sharpening stones, saws, tents, tarps, 100' of Rope, Books, OMG people you are going on a Day Hunt, I've lived off Grid with less stuff than you all want to pack with you on a day Hunt. do you guys have to take your wives with you to cook too?

I think you've been very clear that you don't need to carry much with you. That's cool. No one is trying to bash you for that or convince you to carry more. Maybe you could adopt that same attitude. Thanks for the info you've shared. But after your second or third bashing post, I'm not getting a lot of benefit from them. Hopefully that wasn't your intention, so I apologize for calling you out on it. Best to you.

Bob

I really don't know about all you City Hunters. You all take every comfort of home you can carry. I'm not sure how many thousands of miles I've walked in the mountains bu I've NEVER needed 90% of the stuff you guys can't leave home without.
I think maybe alot of us are just not the man you are msmith57. Waaaay back in the day as a salty Oh3 in my beloved Corps (this where the old man, back in my day story starts) I would live outside for weeks...and weeks at a time. Me and my gal ALICE would stroll through the country side together day and night. I always made her carry the food, most of the water, the extra ammo, smoke, claymores, det-cord, and God forbid every now and then the effing radio. Depending on the hunt we'd roll out with 40 to 105 pounds. Add six full mags, 2 grenades, first aid, e-tool, gas mask, MOPP gear, kevlar, and a flak jacket so you wouldn't get hurt and it was a enough to keep you warm while you walked.
Nowadays when I stroll out I still roll with ALICE. She still carries food (Usually 2 MREs) and beverage (about a gallon of water), meat bags, a fire kit, and a kit to stop serious bleeding. A small saw, a lined poncho and an extra pair of sox and shirt. I also strap a little grill grate on. I carry the rifle, ammo, binos, knife and compass. I bring a phone, but only for the camera usually. Now ALICE is short and don't tell her I said this, but she is fat. We can easily pack out a large Mule buck mostly boned out with cape and still keep food in her (saddle bags). Pack starts out at about 25 pounds and If I do my part and eat a meal and drink my water I'm down to 17 or 18 pounds at the end of the day plus game. Why not have it? Just cause you have to carry it?

Last edited:

I only carry what I consider to be practical, lunch, snacks, water, basic tools, but I never go into the woods without a lensatic compass. Walking in circles tends to aggravate me. I'm never bored in the woods, there's always something to watch.

Last edited:
I pack a small hypodermic needle. There are the best for takeing out splinners. You can buy them where they sell animal supplies.

Are you hauling meat out? - Pack Frame and much of what have been listed depending on your style - if temperate a tarp or plastic sheet can make a fine bivy Tent or leanto with fire in front etc... water or access to and do boiling or filtering - how long you planning to B out or is it a day hunt with emergency gear - take stuff that will do double duty and good luck 😉

If you want hot coffee, make an alcohol stove. It weighs almost nothing. An aluminum cup and fuel for a day weigh less than 6 oz. X2 on the Personal Locator Beacon. $250 and 4 oz. and about the size of the old flip phones. X2 on the Rino by Garmin. Locates your partner, or your vehicle. We went on a day hike once, got lost, and began to think we were spending the night. I had everything I needed for that. Extra clothes, food, water, and someting soft to sit on. We found the trail, and only had to hike until midnight. When I was young, it was a quart of water in a butt pack, knife, bow, and Tee shirt and long sleeve shirt. If I'd broken an ankle, I'd have died. I like to think I'm smarter now. Went on an elk hunt last year with a newbie. He wounded an elk, then ran out of food and water before we could find her.

I've always hunted whitetail within a quarter mile of the cabin. Close enough it's easy to come back in when things seem dead. My cousin got married and has step kids now, so now there's competition for all the close spots. I've got a few spots a mile plus into the woods scouted out, but now I need to figure out what to take with me since it'll be more worth it to stay out all day.

Generally I'm figuring snacks, hydration, first aid, rain gear, extra warm layer, field dressing kit. Am I missing anything obvious? Eastern Oklahoma by the way.

If you hunt in the morning, you'll be dressed for warmth. As the day warms, you'll need room in your pack for the clothes that you remove. So have room to either put them in the pack, or tie them onto the pack. You'll need enough water for the day. Orienteering equipment, and some form of quick nutrition. TP, Large bandana, small first aid kit, and hand/body warmers. Some form of trail markers, severing tools, Firestarter, extra ammo, backup firearm, and a PLAN. Plan your hunt and hunt your plan! Tell some one your PLAN; incase you don't return when expected! A camera, binoculars, and a log book of you days hunt. That way, you can even share your hunt, or even be a mentor.

My pack is all purpose driven...

Me: water bladder....unless too cold, then water and a snack...usually a few snickers & a couple sandwich

First Aid kit: ouchy kit, ibuprofen and a way to treat gunshot wound

SOS kit: GPS or compass; matches

deer kit: knife, saw, rope, gloves, deer drag....if I had a bigger pack, I would switch some of this for room, more butchering stuff and meat bags

license, wire ties, pen

hand warmers....enough to stuff all over if I get cold

gun rest tripod, spotting scope

I've always hunted whitetail within a quarter mile of the cabin. Close enough it's easy to come back in when things seem dead. My cousin got married and has step kids now, so now there's competition for all the close spots. I've got a few spots a mile plus into the woods scouted out, but now I need to figure out what to take with me since it'll be more worth it to stay out all day.

Generally I'm figuring snacks, hydration, first aid, rain gear, extra warm layer, field dressing kit. Am I missing anything obvious? Eastern Oklahoma by the way.
UH....put electronic dog collars on the kids....so your cousin can find them if they turn out to be worthwhile..... and let them do the hiking to the distant stands. It will build character and respect for the old guys having rank. Give them something to look forward to. Just sleep with one eye open.